Homemade Pumpkin Pop Tarts
Homemade pop tarts are easy to make and you can fill them with whatever you want and shape them and decorate them however you want.
So I decided to make pumpkin shaped pop tarts, and fill them with a pumpkin butter. Pumpkin butter, if you’ve ever had it before, isn’t so much like butter. It’s very sweet and jam-like, so a perfect filling for pop tarts.
These ended up being very small so they are more like mini pop tarts. You can make your own pie crust, but I used premade pie crust.
To make the pop tarts, I used a circle cookie cut out to make the pumpkins from the dough. I used the scraps to make a stem on each pumpkin. Then I used a knife to make the grooves. After they were done baking, I decorated them with some orange icing and sprinkles.
- 1 premade pie crust
- pumpkin butter for filling
- orange frosting for decorating I made my own with some powder sugar, milk and a few drops of food coloring
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
1. Using a round cookie cutter, cut circles out of pie crust. Repeat until almost all of the dough is used up. With the dough scraps, make thin pumpkin stems.
2. Take one of the circles, press a shallow hole into the center of the circle for the filling. Leave some room around the edges for when you press the two pieces of dough together. Scoop about 1 tsp of filling into the hole, leaving room around the edges. Then take another circle and place on top. Press edges and seal closed. Repeat with remaining dough. Press stems into each dough.
3. Using a sharp knife, make grooves into the tops of the pumpkins, careful not to slice all the way through. Place finished pies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for about 10 minutes or until pie crust turns a light brown.
5. Once they have cooled, decorate with frosting and sprinkles.