I haven’t abandoned my easy microwave mug cake series. I just took a short break because I didn’t have any ideas that really inspired me. Then when I was working with marshmallows for S’mores brownies, it made me think of hot chocolate. And that’s how I came up this hot chocolate mug cake.
The mug cake uses hot cocoa mix in the batter. You can throw some marshmallows into the batter too which will melt into the cake. And I added a few more marshmallows on top to more resemble hot chocolate.
I was pretty pleased with how this came out. Light, fluffy, and you could taste the hot chocolate flavor. This would be perfect any time of year, though I’m excited to make it during the winter.
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp hot cocoa mix
- 3 1/2 tbsp milk
- splash of vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil
- mini marshmallows optional
- Combine all ingredients except mini marshmallows in an oversized coffee mug. Whisk well with a fork until smooth. Add 4-5 mini marshmallows into batter if desired.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. Check to see if done by inserting knife and seeing if middle of cake is done. The outside of the cake even when fully cooked will look wet and slightly gooey. This is normal. If it needs longer, cook for an additional 30 seconds. Mine was done at 1 1/2 minutes. You don’t want to overcook it or it will become rubbery. You also want to keep in mind that the cake will continue to cook a little in the cup while it is cooling. Add additional mini marshmallows on top and let cake cool slightly before eating.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.