Before the warm weather completely leaves us, I wanted to make this fun twist on lemonade. I first saw berry ice cubes on one of my favorite blogs, Just Putzing around the Kitchen.
Instead of using just water when making your ice, you add some blueberries (or other berries) into the ice. When they are put in the lemonade, they add both color and flavor to the lemonade. Here’s a quick snapshot of the lemonade when the ice first goes in:
And instead of using plain water, I used some lemonmint water by Metromint so when the ice melts, it doesn’t dilute the lemonade further and make it watery. You could also freeze fresh lemon juice if you don’t have any lemon flavored water, but the lemon flavored water is nice because it helps maintain the lemon flavor in your drink.
The end result is a refreshing blueberry mint lemonade, which also has some pretty blueberries floating inside.
I like my lemonade pretty concentrated, so the recipe below is mostly lemons. Of course, you can substitute with your own favorite lemonade recipe or dilute the recipe further if you prefer.
Now onto the giveaway. I mentioned that I used Lemonmint flavored water by Metromint. Have you tried Metromint before? They have a whole line of different flavored mint waters. They are unsweetened, flavored with real mint, and contain no calories. I was sent their most popular flavors to sample: Peppermint, Spearmint, Goodberrymint, Chocolatemint, Lemonmint and Orangemint.
One lucky reader will be sent a sampler pack of Metromint as well. I will use random.org to generate a winner. Please note, this is only open to US residents. The giveaway ends Friday, September 27, 2013 at 11:59 PST. To enter, please leave a comment at the end of this post, telling me which flavor of Metromint you are most interested in sampling. For additional entries:
1) Follow me on Twitter and Tweet the following message “Win Metromint Water Sampler Pack @kirbiecravings https://wp.me/p17wwJ-4Lp” and then leave a separate comment at the end of this post with a link to the tweet. Please make sure it is a separate comment from your initial comment entry so that it is counted separately.
2) Like this post on Facebook and leave a separate comment at the end of this blog post telling me you’ve done so (along with your FB handle if it’s not obvious). Please make sure it is a separate comment from your initial comment entry so that it is counted separately.
Lemonade with Blueberry Lemon Mint Ice Cubes
For the Lemonade
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups Lemonmint water or plain water
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of granulated sugar depending on how sweet you want your lemonade
For the Blueberry Ice
- Lemonmint water
- fresh or frozen blueberries
- To make the ice: Fill ice cube tray with blueberries, about 1-2 per mold, depending on how big your ice molds are. Fill to top with water. Freeze for several hours to set.
- To make the lemonade: Mix lemon juice, water and sugar. Add ice in right before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.