Low Carb Paleo English Muffins
These low carb, gluten free, paleo breads are made in one bowl, no mixer needed. They taste great toasted and are a good low carb alternative to English muffins.
I enjoy trying to make low carb and gluten free bread recipes. Recently, I came across a low carb English muffin recipe. It didn’t quite work for me but after some playing around in the kitchen, I am quite happy with this version I’m sharing with you today.
Taste and Texture
When the breads are finished baking, they don’t really look all that similar to English muffins. They have a soft, fluffy and almost delicate texture. They also don’t rise quite as high as regular English muffins, but they are thick enough to slice in half and toast.
The key to these is toasting them. Once sliced and toasted, they hold together better and they taste quite delicious. Add some butter, jam or maybe a nut butter spread and these make a great substitute for English muffins at breakfast time.
- I used these 4-inch English muffin rings.* If you do not have English muffin rings, you can also bake these in 4-inch wide ramekins. Another alternative is to bake these in a muffin pan but you will have to reduce the amount of batter and cooking time and your muffins will come out smaller than traditional English muffins.
- Allow muffins to cool a few minutes before trying to slice them in half. These are not as thick as traditional English muffins but they are thick enough to be sliced in half.I recommend slicing them near the point where they puff up, allowing the puffy top to be one slice.
- My preferred toasting method is on a pan over the stove. Simply press a slice of bread onto a warmed pan for a few seconds until toasted. Then flip and lightly toast other side. They toast up faster thisway and you have more control over how much you want them to be toasted.
- You can store uneaten ones in the fridge or freezer.
*Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Low Carb Paleo English Muffins
- 1/2 cup almond butter or peanut butter (use almond butter to keep it paleo)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (you can use a paleo butter alternative substitute like coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup superfine almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder (you can make your own paleo baking powder if you are trying to make this completely paleo as commercial baking powder is not paleo)
- 1/4 cup milk (use almond milk to keep it paleo)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly grease the interior of eight English muffin rings. Place molds onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, add almond butter and butter. Microwave at 30 second intervals until butter is melted. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into the molds, dividing batter evenly into the eight molds (I poured slightly under 1/3 cup into each mold).
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until muffins are done. A knife inserted should come out clean and when you apply light pressure to the surface, they should spring back. Allow muffins to cool. Slice muffins in half and toast. To toast the muffins, you can either put them directly on the grills in a toaster oven or you can toast them in a pan over the stove. Serve with butter, jam or nut butter.
- Please see detailed notes listed above the recipe box.
- I used these 4-inch English muffin rings* to make this recipe.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!