The next time you have leftover macaroni and cheese you should make these macaroni and cheese muffins. They’re easy to make with one bowl, cheesy and a fun snack or side dish.
A few months ago, I came across a recipe for macaroni and cheese muffins. When I clicked over on the recipe though, it wasn’t exactly what I had pictured. I had conjured an image of a savory muffin mixed with actual macaroni and cheese noodles and this recipe was more of a cheese muffin with noodles mixed in.
After I made my pizza cupcakes, I decided to try making my own version of macaroni and cheese muffins. It took a few tries before I created a version I liked. It’s a great way to use up leftover macaroni and cheese though it works best with fresh leftovers because noodles sitting in the fridge get a little hard and chewy.
My first attempt was a little too bland. Despite all the mac n cheese mixed into the batter, the muffin didn’t taste that cheesy. So I added more cheese to the actual batter and sprinkled some on top too.
These are easy to make. One bowl, no mixer needed.
Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup macaroni and cheese
- 12 tsp shredded cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 12 cupcake pan with liners. (You can also grease the cupcake molds directly and pour batter in directly. They come out pretty easily. I tried both versions, but I like how they look in the muffin molds a little more.)
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add in vegetable oil, egg and 1/3 cup milk into flour mixture and stir until batter is smooth. It will be sticky. Fold/stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese and 1 cup macaroni and cheese. Make sure you use macaroni and cheese that is warm and loose and not cold and stuck together. If you are using leftovers from the fridge, make sure to warm it up first in the microwave. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle additional 1 tsp of cheese on top of each muffin. Bake for about 18 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.