- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 6 eggs yolks and whites separated
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/2 cup of sugar, and the matcha powder. Add the oil, egg yolks, and milk. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until moist peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 of cup sugar and continue beating until stiff and shiny peaks form. Fold 1/2 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolks mixture using a spatula and stir and fold until no egg white streaks remain. Fold and mix in the rest of the egg white mixture until combined. Pour the batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan.
- Bake the cake for about 55 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you touch the top of the cake, it should bounce back. Invert cake pan and let cake cool completely in pan upside down. When cool, loosen the edges of cake with a plastic knife and shake pan to remove cake.
Recipe adapted from Little Corner of Mine