This Mexican “Fried” Ice Cream doesn’t require any frying, but the crunchy cinnamon coating gives the sensation of a fried dessert. It’s a fun dessert you easily make at home.
Summer is here and the Fair is in full effect in San Diego and so I thought it was time to share a fun fair food recipe. We always go to the Fair to try out the newest crazy food offerings and over the years I’ve figured out how to make many of them at home like this Mexican fried ice cream. While it’s fun to eat at the Fair it can get really expensive so it’s fun to make these summer treats at home.
In fact, I wrote a whole post about my homemade fair food recipes so be sure to check it out for even more ideas.
What is Mexican Fried Ice Cream?
It’s a dessert that has a crunchy coating that makes it seem like it’s deep-fried but it’s not. I’ve had real fried ice cream before but, honestly, it tastes pretty much the same as this non-fried version since you really can’t fry the ice cream for long without it melting.
It’s just scoops of ice cream coated in cinnamon-dusted crushed cornflakes which gives the ice cream a crunchy coating as if it were fried. It’s a delicious and ridiculously easy summer treat.
Yes, just three ingredients – that’s all you need:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Crushed corn flakes
Place the cornflakes in a bowl, add the cinnamon and stir to combine. Scoop the ice cream and roll each ball in the cornflakes to evenly coat it. That’s all there is to it!
I love to dress it up with some toppings:
- First, I like to scoop some whipped cream in the serving bowls for the ice cream to sit on.
- Drizzle some chocolate syrup over the top.
- Add a cherry to finish it off!
This is such a fun summer treat that you don’t have to wait in line for at the fair. I hope you enjoy it!
Mexican "Fried" Ice Cream
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes I pulsed mine through a food processor
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine crushed cornflakes and cinnamon in a medium bowl, stirring to combine. Using ice cream scoop, scoop out round balls of ice cream.
- Drop the ice cream into crushed cornflakes and roll around until fully coated. Top with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or cherries if desired.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.