A single serving of cauliflower fried rice that cooks in the microwave. It’s an easy low carb meal ready in minutes.
I love eating cauliflower fried rice and this microwave version is just so quick and easy for those super busy days when I don’t have enough time to really cook.
Frozen versus Fresh Vegetables
- I prefer using frozen vegetables for this recipe, though you can use fresh cauliflower rice.
- Frozen vegetables are ideal for microwave cooking. They cook fast and easily and are less likely to dry out, overcook, etc.
- For the frozen medley, I recommend peas, carrots, corn. Not only are these the most commonly used vegetables for Chinese fried rice, but they also cook fast in the microwave and don’t overcook easily.
Seasoning for Fried Rice
The rice is simply seasoned with salt and sesame oil. Sesame oil is often used when making Chinese fried rice because it makes the dish much more fragrant. You can also add a little soy sauce if desired. And if you like things spicy, you can add a little sriracha or chili oil.
Microwave Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables medley (peas, carrots, corn work best)
- 1 large egg whisked
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp finely sliced scallions
- In a large microwave safe mug that can hold at least 14 oz liquid, add cauliflower rice and frozen vegetables. Cook in microwave at full power for 1 minute. Vegetables should now be partially defrosted.
- Stir and season with salt. Stir in sesame oil. Cook for 1 more minute at full power. At this point vegetables should be hot and cauliflower should be almost fully cooked (tender but still crisp). Taste and if needed, add more salt.
- Pour whisked egg over surface. Do not mix it in yet. Cook at full power for 40 seconds. This should only partially cook the egg. Don't worry that the egg is still liquid on top. Stir to mix the egg into the hot cauliflower rice mixture. This will scramble the egg and cook the egg. You should see the egg turning a paler yellow and getting cooked from the heat of the vegetables and rice.
- Cook for 30 more seconds to ensure the egg is fully cooked. Top with scallions and serve.
- I use an 1100 watt microwave. If your microwave is less or more powerful you will need to adjust time and power accordingly.
- Sesame oil is usually used in Chinese fried rice because it makes the dish much more fragrant. It's a little bit like adding vanilla to baked goods. If you don't like sesame oil, you can replace with cooking oil.
- The frozen vegetables and rice do not need to be defrosted before cooking. They should be added to the mug while still frozen.
- This can also be made with fresh cauliflower rice. You will need to add about 1 tbsp of water to the rice before you cook it to keep it from getting too dry.
- The frozen vegetables and frozen cauliflower have enough water that they won't get dry during cooking and shouldn't need additional water.
- This microwave rice recipe works best with frozen peas, carrots, corn. Not only are these the most common vegetables used with fried rice but they also are ideal for microwave cooking. Other vegetables may dry out, need longer cooking time, etc.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.