This creamy no churn ice cream pairs matcha green tea with crushed Oreos for a delicious combination.
Summer might be ending soon, but the current sweltering heat means it’s definitely still ice cream time. I’d like to be on an ice cream diet right now if that was a thing.
The magical number for today is 7. Why 7, you ask?
Because seven is the number of ice cream scoops I currently own. I know, I know. No person needs seven ice cream scoops unless they own an ice cream shop. And truthfully, I only use about 2 of them. But somehow, I ended up with seven.
Some were gifts, like cool party favors. Some were my own purchases in the hopes of finding the perfect ice cream scoop. And because I don’t like to throw anything away, my collection has grown to 7. Maybe one day I’ll put them up on a wall in the house for decoration.
Back to this ice cream. Matcha tends to be bitter and cookies and cream is really sweet, so the two flavors really complement each other. I also love the color contrast. You don’t see much cookies and cream or Oreo flavors in Japanese desserts, but I’ve always enjoyed this combination and since I couldn’t find this ice cream flavor, I made my own.
This ice cream actually held together pretty well under the sweltering heat. I played around with photographing these cones for more than 20 minutes in my super hot house before this finally happened.
The ice cream prep is super easy. I previously shared the no churn method with my Cookies and Cream Ice Cream post. This is a similar process, except that you need to whisk in the matcha powder.
Maeda-En Matcha powder*(you can use others, but this is my preferred choice because it has such a natural strong green color due to its premium quality. Make sure you buy the gold canister because the silver culinary quality has a much duller shade of green)
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
No Churn Matcha Green Tea Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk (full fat version)
- 3-4 tbsp premium quality matcha green tea powder (see note)
- 8 Oreo Cookies crushed
- Add heavy cream to stand mixer and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- In a large mixing bowl, add condensed milk and matcha powder. Whether you add 3 or 4 tbsp depends on how much you enjoy the matcha flavor. 4 tbsp will definitely be more intense and more of the bitter tea will come out, but I really enjoy the flavor of matcha so I prefer 4. Using a whisk, mix the condensed milk with matcha until smooth and no matcha powder lumps remain.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in whipped cream until uniform. Fold in crushed Oreos, reserving about 3 tbsp.
- Pour ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Use a spatula to smooth and even out the surface. Sprinkle remaining crushes Oreos on top. Freeze overnight.
- It's important to use good quality matcha green tea powder otherwise your ice cream won't have a deep green color.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.