Bread pudding is best served warm, which is why this easy, quick, one serving microwave mug version is so great.
No long prep time. No making custard on the stove. No waiting around for a full-sized bread pudding to bake.
Like all my other mug cake creations, this takes less than 5 minutes to put together and cooks in 1 minute. Okay it’s not technically a cake, but I made it in a mug and it’s normally associated with other cake-like desserts, so I’m putting it in my mug cake category.
Since it’s pumpkin season, I made a pumpkin version. And I topped it with some caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. This is the perfect Fall treat.
Pumpkin Bread Pudding Mug Cake
- 2 slices of bread or King Hawaiian rolls Brioche is best. Sweet Hawaiian rolls also work. Regular soft bread works, but not as well. The bread slice should be about the size usually used for toast or about the size of one King Hawaiian roll, cut into small cubes about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 heaping tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2-3 tbsp sugar depending on how sweet you want the bread pudding to be before topping with caramel sauce
- caramel sauce for serving
- Lightly grease one microwave safe mug. Line mug with half of the bread cubes. Circle the inside of the cup with bread, then fill the middle. Continue to stack up until you run out, so that it forms a tower of bread inside the mug.
- In a separate mug or small bowl, whisk egg, milk, cinnamon, pumpkin and sugar. Pour half of mixture onto bread tower, making sure custard mixture touches all bread pieces. Microwave for about 1 minute or until custard is fully cooked. Remove from mug and place onto a plate. Use mug again to make second bread pudding. Serve warm with ice cream and caramel sauce.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.