No-bake, paleo, and gluten-free pumpkin pie energy balls are a healthy snack and taste like pumpkin pie filling. They are a great way to use up leftover pumpkin puree. This post includes recipes for both pumpkin and chocolate pumpkin versions.
If you are like me and aren’t quite ready to say goodbye to all the pumpkin desserts or have some leftover pumpkin puree, these pumpkin pie energy bites (also known as energy balls) are the answer. They taste just like pumpkin pie filling and they are super easy to whip up.
What are Energy Balls?
I really love making energy balls. They are usually a combination of protein, carbs, and healthy fats and are great for snacking. I like eating them after lunch or after yoga when I need a little something sweet to get me through the afternoon. They’re easy to make and less expensive than store-bought energy bars and snacks. Plus, you can easily customize them so for this recipe I made two different kinds: a pumpkin version and one batch with chocolate and pumpkin. They are a great gluten-free snack!
How to Make Energy Balls Two Ways
The regular pumpkin version tastes just like pumpkin pie filling to me. The chocolate version tastes less like pumpkin pie but they are both delicious.
- The energy balls are naturally sweetened with dates. You will need to soften the dates beforehand by soaking them in water for 15 minutes.
- These no-bake energy bites are very easy to do if you have a food processor. I use it to grind up the nuts before adding the pumpkin puree, softened dates, spices and vanilla.
- Roll the mixture into balls and chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes so they firm up.
- To make the chocolate version you use all of the same ingredients plus cacao powder* (a healthier alternative to regular cocoa powder), and honey.
I keep my pumpkin pie energy bites in the refrigerator to have on hand for easy snacking, but they never last long!
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup softened dates (see note)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla
- all the ingredients above
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (see note)
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- Add pecans/walnuts to a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add in remaining ingredients and pulse until a thick paste forms and everything is evenly mixed.
- Scoop out 1 1/2 tbsp of mixture and form into ball. Repeat with remaining mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up before eating. Store uneaten balls in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To soften dates, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes and then drain.
- I buy my cacao powder* on Amazon.
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- Nutrition estimate is for the pumpkin version only.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.