I love purple sweet potatoes. The dark, rich color of a cooked purple sweet potato looks almost unnatural and yet it makes me love them even more. Purple sweet potatoes have a very starchy texture, more like a regular potato. They are also very sweet. I thought it might be fun to make a purple sweet potato dessert, and chose to make purple sweet potato muffins.
I took a pumpkin muffin recipe I previously used, and omitted the cinnamon. The muffins were dense and had a nice sweet potato flavor. Unfortunately, the muffins lost some of their color when mixed with the muffin batter. They were slightly too sweet, so next time I’ll probably cut back on the sugar.
Purple Sweet Potato Muffins
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar I would reduce this by half a cup next time
- 2 cups mashed cooked purple sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, sweet potato, and oil until smooth. To make sweet potatoes, I peeled mine and boiled them until they were soft and then mashed them in a food processor.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a muffin tin or fill your tin with cupcake papers. Fill the wells with the batter until they are 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and then complete the cooling process on a wire rack.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.