This easy Shamrock shake is only 5 ingredients and about half the calories of the McDonald’s version.
Mr. K and I used to have a tradition of getting a Shamrock shake every year from McDonald’s during this time of year. Then one year, I decided to make it myself, and we’ve been doing that ever since. A 12 oz Shamrock shake at McDonald’s is 530 calories and contains a lot of unnecessary ingredients in its Shamrock syrup. This 12 oz serving is about 264 calories (the calorie count will vary slightly depending on the ice cream brand and whipped topping brand) with only a handful of ingredients.
You can make it even healthier if you reduce the ice cream and increase the milk, but we like our shakes on the thicker side.
I love making my own because I can also customize and adjust to my own personal taste, such as color, thickness, sweetness, etc.
I’ll definitely be consuming a few more before St. Patrick’s Day.
Skinny Shamrock Shake
- 2 cups low fat vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp mint extract depending on how minty you want your shake
- 4-5 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup canned whipped cream topping or cool whip
- In a blender, add the first four ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour out into a tall glass or two small glasses. Top with whipped cream before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.