A low carb version of Chinese chow mein or lo mein (Chinese stir fry noodles) using zucchini noodles aka zoodles. This meal is ready in less than 30 minutes.
Chinese New Year is right around the corner so lately I’ve been craving all of my favorite Chinese dishes that are often eaten for New Year’s, like soy sauce eggs, tea leaf eggs, chow mein, scallion pancakes, dumplings, pineapple cakes, new year’s cake, and more. Basically a lot of carbs.
And while I do plan on indulging in some of these favorites later this week, I though I’d try a low-carb version of chow mein. I really loved how this turned out! It’s so fast and easy.
Also, I recently bought a new zucchini spiralizer. For over a year I was using a small hand-held one where you manually twist the zucchini into the blades. It works great and I still use it all the time. But I kept seeing photos of recipes for zucchini noodle dishes that featured thicker zucchini noodles. After a little research, I discovered that a lot of the bigger spiral slicers feature more blades, including a thicker one for thicker noodles. It also works well for other vegetables. I love that you just turn the handle rather than having to manually twist the zucchini yourself. It’s only about $10 more and it’s not as tiring on your hands and more versatile too. Given how much I love spiralizing, I think it was a good investment.
I really enjoy the texture of the thicker noodles. They have a good bite to them and they hold their shape better after being cooked, unlike my previous zucchini noodles which were always a bit wilted looking after they were done. I left the skin on, but for the zucchini noodles without the skin, they looked just like regular noodles.
This meal was light but satisfying. I can’t wait to experiment with this spiralizer even more!
Paderno World Cuisine Vegetable Spiral Slicer*
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Stir Fry Zucchini Noodles Chow Mein
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 lb chicken breast cut into small strips
- 1 slim carrot peeled and then julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper julienned
- 1/2 green bell pepper julienned
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- In a small bowl, add soy sauces, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Stir and set aside. In a large wok or skillet, add garlic and oil and bring pan to medium high heat. Cook garlic until lightly browned. Add in chicken. Cook chicken until almost completely cooked. If pan becomes too dry, add a little water.
- When chicken is almost cooked, add in carrots and bell peppers. Cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is completely cooked. Add in zucchini noodles and pour sauce over noodles. Stir and toss until everything is evenly coated and cook until zucchini noodles are tender but still crisp (about 2-3 minutes). Dish out and serve immediately.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
This looks so good! What a great way to stay gluten free and use up a bunch of zucchini!
We hope you enjoy it!
Made this tonight and it was so good!!! Will be a weekly meal for me!
that’s so great to hear! thank you for taking the time to let me know!
Lovely carb free idea for this time of the year! Perfect