- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- In a medium bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, add into the creamed mixture until dough comes together.
- Remove 1/2 of the dough. With the remaining 1/2 dough in the bowl, add in the 2 1/2 tsp of matcha powder and mix until combined.
- Take the match dough and roll into a tube shape about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Slice the dough to form the shell. I sliced mine about 1/4 inch thick. As you slice, the dough may flatten at the bottom. Try to shape the bottom so that they end up being round circles again.
- Using the remaining plain dough to form the head, hands and feet. Place the turtles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat mats, about 1/2 inch apart.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges turn a golden brown.
- After turtles have cooled, decorate the turtles with eyes. You can add sprinkles, pipe melted chocolate, etc.