My macaroni and cheese recipe testing quest continued this weekend with a recipe provided to me by Marissa of Mama Sparkles, courtesy of her sister.
She provided me the recipe weeks ago and I regret waiting this long to try it. It’s definitely the creamiest macaroni and cheese recipe I’ve made yet and I really enjoyed it. There were a few more steps compared to some of the other recipes I tried, but worth it.
FH absolutely loved this one. Out of the four attempts, this one is his favorite. I think it’s my second favorite, just behind this one. But it’s a close call.
I followed the recipe Mama Sparkles gave me except that I didn’t do the final step of placing the macaroni and cheese in the oven because I wanted to keep it completely as a stove top recipe. This only lasted one meal. Next time I’m going to double the recipe. Thanks Marissa for providing me with this recipe!
You might like my baked macaroni and cheese, too!
Super Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni or baby shells
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups grated light cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack on top shelf in oven and preheat broiler to high. In a medium-size bowl, whisk milk with Dijon, salt and cayenne. Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Mixture will be dry and very lumpy. Gradually add milk mixture, a little at a time, whisking constantly between additions to beat out any lumps. Stir often until mixture comes to a boil, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove pan from heat and gradually stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese. Continue stirring until melted.
- When macaroni is cooked, drain well. Do not rinse. Stir into cheese sauce. Mixture will be very creamy and saucy.
- It’s great as is or turn into an 8-inch baking dish. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Broil on top rack of preheated oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.