Taco Stuffed Avocados
Avocado halves are stuffed with lean ground turkey taco filling and homemade taco seasoning for a healthier version of tacos and a delicious and easy meal.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today. I had this recipe idea last year but it was already after avocado season was over. I’ve been impatiently waiting for avocados to come back into season to finally make this recipe!
When you remove the pits from the avocados, the hole is usually a little small, so I carved out some of the avocado flesh, leaving out a 1/2 inch perimeter of avocado. You can add the scraped out avocado back into your taco filling, use it to make guacamole, save it for avocado toast or a snack.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
I used my go-to homemade taco filling recipe to stuff into the avocados.
I usually make more than enough so that I don’t have to keep making it over and over again and I place the leftover seasoning in an airtight container in my pantry for later use. What’s nice about homemade seasoning is that you can control sodium levels and ingredients that go into the seasoning.
You can use as much or as little as you need based on your own personal tastes and dietary restrictions. For each one tablespoon of seasoning you need to add 1/4 cup of water to the meat, otherwise the seasoning will be too dry.
My husband and I enjoyed these delicious taco avocado boats over several lunches.
Taco Stuffed Avocados
- 4 large avocados, sliced in half and pit removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 -2 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Scoop out some of the avocado flesh from avocado halves, leaving 1/2 inch perimeter of avocado. You can add the scooped out avocado back into your taco filling, use it for another recipe, or save it for a snack or avocado toast.
- Add all the taco seasoning ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. When cooking with the seasoning, for every 1 tbsp of seasoning used, you will also need to add 1/4 cup water to the ground meat. Store any remaining seasoning in an airtight container.
- In a large skillet add oil, garlic and onion. Bring pan to medium high heat. Stir and cook until onions are halfway done and aroma of the garlic has been released. Add in ground turkey and cook until almost completely cooked. Stir in tomatoes and cook until turkey is completely cooked. Lower heat to medium and stir in the taco seasoning a little at a time. For every 1 tbsp of seasoning, add in 1/4 cup water. Add in enough seasoning until it reaches your desired taste preference. I used 1 ½ tbsp seasoning. Cook a few more minutes until everything is evenly coated in taco seasoning. Sprinkle surface with cheese. Turn off heat. Place a lid over pan for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Fill avocado halves with taco filling. Garnish with cilantro. Serve while taco filling is still warm.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!