Crispy tater tot waffles are used as the “bread” for this breakfast grilled cheese sandwich filled with bacon, cheese, and avocado slices.
Have you made tater tot waffles before? They are so much fun! You thaw frozen tater tots and then press them together into the waffle iron. They come out as one big crispy waffle. Because I only have a round belgian waffle maker, I just use the middle grid section.
We’ve eaten them just as they are– I personally like to eat them by breaking them off piece by piece. But recently I decided to try using them for this indulgent breakfast grilled cheese.
After you cook the waffles, you add your sandwich ingredients. I used slices of cheddar cheese, avocado and bacon. Then you add another waffle on top. Close your waffle iron until the cheese is melted and it’s ready!
Tater Tot Waffle Grilled Cheese
- 24 frozen tater tots thawed to room temperature
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 3-4 thin slices of avocado
- 2 slices of cooked bacon
- Grease your waffle iron with cooking oil spray. Turn your waffle iron on and move dial to medium high heat. Line 12 tater tots with 3 rows of four tots in the middle section of your waffle iron. If you have a big enough rectangle waffle iron, you can cook all 24 tots at once. Because mine is round, I only used the middle of the grid so I had to make each waffle separately. Make sure the tater tots are touching with no gaps between them. Close your waffle iron the best you can. You will need to apply a little pressure and it may not close evenly over the waffle. I usually close it as much as I can and let the waffle cook and then try to close it further about halfway through the cooking.
- Let waffle cook until crispy and dark golden brown. This can take several minutes (around 10 minutes in mine). Carefully remove waffle and make your second waffle.
- Leave the second waffle on the waffle iron when done. Add a slice of cheese, bacon, avocado and the second slice of cheese on top. Then add the first waffle over ingredients. Close waffle iron, making sure to line the top waffle with the waffle iron grids. You don't need to close the waffle iron all the way but you want to at least close it about halfway so that the ingredients can get heated and the cheese melts. Cook until cheese is melted. Then remove sandwich and enjoy.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.