- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp ube paste
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350'F (175'C).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a bowl. Stir well to blend. Add the oil, egg yolks, coconut milk, and ube paste. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate bowl until moist peaks formed. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff and shiny peaks are formed. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture, fold to mix and then add the rest of the egg whites. Fold gently but thoroughly, so no white streaks remain. Turn batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.
Bake for 60 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake and cool completely in pan. Make sure oven has reached 350°F before putting cake in oven. When cool, loosen the edges and shake pan to remove cake.
Recipe adapted from Little Corner of Mine