- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped fine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped fine
- 1/3 cup 1 ounce Dutch-processed cocoa
- cup hot coffee
- cup 4 1/8 ounces bread flour
- cup 5¼ ounces granulated sugar
- teaspoon table salt
- teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup 2 1/3 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch table salt
- 12 tablespoons 11/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened and cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the Chocolate Ganache
Place-chocolate, cream, and confectioners’ sugar in medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high power until mixture is warm to touch, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Whisk until smooth; transfer bowl to refrigerator and let stand until just chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.
Make the Cupcakes
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F. Line standard-sized muffin pan (cups have ½-cup capacity) with baking-cup liners (I was able to make 14 cupcakes).
- Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups (I filled mine 2/3 full). Place one slightly rounded teaspoon ganache filling on top of each cupcake.
- Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes (I did 17). Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour.
Make the Frosting
- Combine sugar, egg whites, and salt in bowl of stand mixer; place bowl over pan of simmering water. Whisking gently but constantly, heat mixture until slightly thickened, foamy, and registers 150 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place bowl in stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat mixture on medium speed until consistency of shaving cream and slightly cooled, 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter, 1 piece at a time, until smooth and creamy. (Frosting may look curdled after half of butter has been added; it will smooth with additional butter.)
- Once all butter is added, add cooled melted chocolate and vanilla; mix until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light, fluffy, and thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds, scraping beater and sides of bowl with rubber spatula as necessary.
- To frost, mound 2 to 3 tablespoons frosting on center of each cupcake. Using small icing spatula or butter knife, spread frosting to edge of cupcake, leaving slight mound in center (I just put my frosting in a piping bag and piped it with a 1M Wilton tip).
Recipe source: Cook's Illustrated