Thursday, July 16, 2009

Coconut Macaroons Two Ways

A while back I made coconut macaroons for the first time, using a very simple recipe.  You can read my previous post here.  Since then I have been looking at other various coconut macaroon recipes.  A lot of the recipes call for egg whites.  I was curious how a recipe with egg whites would work compared to using condensed milk.  So I decided to make coconut two ways and compare them.

For the egg whites recipe, I chose one posted by use real butter, which I believe she got from Martha Stewart's Cookies.  I had to make some adjustments.  In the original recipe, she made a chocolate glaze for the macaroons.  I think the macaroons are sweet enough on their own, so I didn't make the chocolate glaze.  Also the recipe calls for unsweetened coconut flakes, which I have been looking for, but unable to find.  So I used sweetened coconut flakes, and cut down on the sugar.  Here is my modified recipe:

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt

Directions: Set oven at 325°F. Set parchment paper on a large
baking sheet. Mix all ingredients together by hand in a large bowl. Wash hands off. Dip hands in cold water and shake
off excess. Shape a mound or ball from 1-2 tablespoons of dough and set
on parchment paper with an inch of spacing between each cookie. Bake
16-17 minutes, rotating the baking sheet after 8 minutes, until golden
brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Conclusions:  The batter was a bit loose.  When it baked, it came out a
pretty golden brown.  However, there also pooled a gooey later at the
bottom.  I think it was from the egg whites.  The gooey layer at the
bottom didn't taste like much.

The macaroons were easy to remove from the parchment paper.  The macaroon wasn't as chewy as I would have liked.  It was very loose. I love the pretty golden brown though.

Next, I tried using a condensed milk recipe.  I used a recipe submitted by Fratcook on allrecipes.com. I followed the recipe exactly:

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 1/2 cups flaked coconut
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat
    oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with
    parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, coconut and salt. Stir in the
    sweetened condensed milk and vanilla using your hands until well
    blended. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie
    sheets. Cookies should be about golf ball size.

3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until coconut is toasted.

Conclusions:  This recipe was a lot easier.  No need to separate egg whites.  Just combine a couple of ingredients and you're done. Also the condensed milk and flour acted as a good binding agent.  This macaroon was a lot more compact and created a chewier macaroon.

When I originally first made my macaroons for the first time using condensed milk, it was so easy, i thought that it was almost like cheating.  I thought that perhaps a more complicated recipe was create a better macaroon and that the condensed milk version was just a "quick fix" for someone really craving macaroons.  But both recipes yield similar results, and in fact, I preferred the dough of the condensed milk version.

12 Responses to “Coconut Macaroons Two Ways”

anon — July 21, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

Actually, a lot of recipes I’ve seen call for whipping the eggs into a meringue. I wonder if the foaminess adds structure which prevents the gooey pooling you experienced.

Kirbie — July 22, 2009 @ 8:54 am

I’m not sure if it would make a difference. I’ve seen the whipping eggs recipes as well, but people who commented on this egg white recipe said whipping wasn’t necessary.

Kathy — August 10, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

Kirby, you said that you cannot find unsweetened coconut. I found some at Midwest Northern Nut Co in Minneapolis, MN. Their phone number is 612-781-6596. It is a wholesale nut company but open to the public. I use coconut for candy I make for the holidays so I bought the smallest amount I could – 5 lbs for $11.00. It is a huge amount..i have put it in the freezer and figure it will last me for the rest of my life!

Kirbie — August 12, 2009 @ 10:37 am

Thanks for the information!

Brenna — November 27, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

That sweetened condensed milk recipe is just fantastic! It’s my go to recipe whenever I’m in the mood for macaroons. My friends love it too!

• Kirbie replied: — November 28th, 2010 @ 9:53 am

I love the condensed milk recipe too. So easy to put together!

About Coconut Oil | COCONUT COOKING OIL — February 11, 2011 @ 8:10 am

[...] google_color_link = "0000FF"; google_color_text = "999999"; google_color_url = "191919"; About Coconut [...]

Benefits Of Coconut Oil Weight Loss | COCONUT COOKING OIL — February 11, 2011 @ 9:38 am

[...] = "0000FF"; google_color_text = "999999"; google_color_url = "191919"; Benefits Of Coconut Oil Weight [...]

Advent: Day 8 | Celluloid & Leftovers — December 8, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

[...] milk. I was torn so I searched again to see if anyone had written about the two styles. Indeed, someone had and my choice was made. Though, in future, I’d like to try other versions — I picked [...]

Alena — December 13, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

What a waste of time and food! I made 2 dozens with 5 cups of coconut, but I can not taste them because everyone of them got stuck on the paper! there is no way to remove it from the bottom of the cookie, so i’ll have to throw it away. Next time i’ll try aluminum foil instead. They look good though.

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Hmm, I think aluminum foil would stick. Are you sure you used parchment paper? I haven’t had any problems with them sticking to parchment paper. The reason I ask is I once used waxed paper back when I first started baking. I thought waxed paper and parchment were the same thing. But they are definitely not. They stuck to the wax paper like crazy, but when I switched to parchment paper, it was fine.

Easter Eats | Live and Love To Eat — April 9, 2012 @ 9:46 am

[...] by these, but based on this macaroon recipe - no sweetened condensed [...]