These chewy coconut cookies are made with coconut extract and shredded coconut for an extra boost of coconut flavor. They have the best soft and chewy texture.
I love coconut and am always looking for ways to use it in recipes. The flavor reminds me of a tropical vacation and since we don’t plan on any beach vacations any time soon, I thought I’d make a batch of these chewy coconut cookies. Not exactly the same as being on the beach, but the flavor reminds me of it.
These are easy coconut cookies – they only take about 15 minutes to prep and then you just pop them in the oven. I love the soft and chewy texture and the little flecks of shredded coconut.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Softened butter
- White sugar
- Coconut extract
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
How to Make Chewy Coconut Cookies
Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the egg and coconut extract and continue beating the mixture.
Gradually add the dry ingredients in batches until the dough comes together. Lower the mixer speed and add the shredded coconut, stirring just until it’s incorporated into the dough.
Form the dough into 1 ½” balls and place them two inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Lightly press down on each cookie dough ball so they form a disc. If the edges crack, smooth them out with your finger.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes at 350°F or until the cookies are set and lightly golden around the edges. The cookies will puff up as they back but will flatten out as they cool.
How to Store the Cookies
Once the cookies are completely cooled, keep them in an airtight container. They will keep for a few days at room temperature.
I really enjoyed these coconut cookies – soft, chewy, easy to make. Basically my favorite kind of cookie recipe. If you like coconut, you should check out my no bake coconut cookies, easy macaroons, no-churn coconut ice cream, no-bake coconut bars, and my triple coconut mug cake.
Chewy Coconut Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring/extract
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and coconut flavoring. Gradually blend in the flour mixture until dough is formed. Add shredded coconut on low speed until incorporated. Roll dough into balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and place onto ungreased cookie sheets lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Press down with palm to flatten dough so that they form round discs. Make sure edges are not cracked. If they get cracked from pressure of pressing down, smooth the round edges with your finger.
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are set and starting to slightly turn golden brown around the edges. Cookies will initially be puffy, but will flatten once cooled. Let cookies cool before removing from baking sheet.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.