Chewy macaroons with a chocolate drizzle are a sweet treat that is easy to make. These coconut macaroons are made with unsweetened coconut so they’re not overly sweet. They are perfectly balanced with the rich chocolate drizzled over the top.
I’ve been making a lot of coconut macaroons lately. I just can’t get enough of these chewy little cookies and for this version, I decided to drizzle them with chocolate ganache.
I’ve tried a lot of macaroon recipes with unsweetened coconut which I really enjoy. The cookies aren’t overly sweet. For a while, I was having trouble finding unsweetened coconut nut and then a reader emailed me a tip about checking Amazon.
I was glad I did because I found a couple of brands. One from Bob’s Red Mill* and Let’s Do Organic* which are both unsweetened. I ended up going with the Let’s Do Organic because it came in a smaller bag.
Macaroons with Unsweetened Coconut
I love that you only need five ingredients to make homemade macaroons. I also added a chocolate ganache drizzle which is optional, but I think it really dresses them up. Plus, chocolate makes everything better.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Egg whites
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
All you do is mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. You don’t need a mixer – the dough is easy to mix with just a spoon.
Form the dough into balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment. I like to space them about an inch apart.
Bake them for about 8 minutes and then rotate the pan. Bake them for 8 minutes longer or until they are golden brown. Let them cool before you add the ganache.
For the ganache, just heat cream on the stove and then pour it over chopped chocolate and mix until the chocolate melts and the ganache has thickened.
You can dip the tops of the macaroons in the chocolate or drizzle it over the top.
More Cookie Recipes
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Ganache
- 3/4 cup (175 g) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (165 g) unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Set parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Mix all ingredients together by hand in a large bowl. Wash hands off.
- Use a tablespoon, or by hand, scoop and pack dough and put dough on parchment paper with an inch of spacing between each cookie.
- Bake16 minutes, rotating the baking sheet after 8 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. When cooled, dip the tops of the macaroons into chocolate glaze or drizzle glaze on the macaroons
- To make the ganache, chop chocolate into small pieces and put in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on stove until it is about to boil. Then pout heavy cream over chocolate and stir until it mixes thoroughly and becomes a thick, smooth ganache. Let ganache cool slightly before using.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.