- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses plus a little extra so it overflows for a few seconds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 heaping teaspoons ginger
- ½ heaping teaspoon cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer. Add the egg and molasses and mix together. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix just until combined.
- Roll dough into tablespoon-sized balls. Roll each dough ball in sugar, and place them on the cookie sheet spaced about 1 ½ inches apart. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until they look a little underdone and are firm on the outside but still soft on the inside. Cool the cookies for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a baking rack.
Recipe source: Splash of Something