Friday, November 20, 2009

Red Velvet Roses

I previously attempted to make red velvet cupcakes for the first time here.  I wasn't too satisfied with my original attempt.  Carol from CAB Cooks gave me lots of tips on her experience making red velvet cake.  Armed with her tips, and a recipe I found for Magnolia's red velvet cupcakes which I found through Evan's Kitchen ramblings, I tried to make these cakes again.

Just in time, my Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Sweetheart Rose Muffin Pan arrived.  What better to bake into rose shapes than red velvet cakes?

I actually ran out of red food coloring. I only had half the amount required. I didn't realize I would need so much! But the cakes still came out really red.  So I think next time I will reduce the amount of food coloring as well.  The cakes were moist, with hints of buttermilk and cocoa.  While I enjoyed these more than my last attempt, they still aren't quite there yet for me.  I'm going to try out some more recipes.

The rose pan worked well.  The cakes came out easily.  I don't like how there are so many little holes though.  I know part of the problem simply is that the holes are more apparent since the cakes are so small.  But I think part of it was the oil spray I used on the pans to grease them.  I have a similar problem when I sprayed my madeleine pans and then I ended up not spraying them, and the holes on my madeleines disappeared.  I think next time I will try either not spraying, using butter instead or maybe spraying and then flouring.

Yields: 36 cupcakes

Ingredients

3 ? cups cake flour

375g unsalted butter, room temp

2 ¼ cups sugar

3 large eggs, at room temperature

6 tbsps red food coloring

3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa

1 ½ tsps vanilla extract

1 ½ tsps salt

1 ½ cups buttermilk

1 ½ tsps cider vinegar

1 ½ tsps baking soda

Directions

In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside. In a large bowl, on
the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until
very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time,
beating well after each addition.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.  (I found it hard to mix this.  I'm not sure why the food coloring is added to this mixture and not directly into the liquid batter.)

In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the
batter in three parts, alternating with the flour. With each addition,
beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.

In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add
to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the
batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and
the batter is smooth.

5. Spoon batter into cupcake liners (or in my case, I used my mini rose muffin bundt pan) until
2/3 full. bake in a preheated oven of 340F for 20 mins or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

16 Responses to “Red Velvet Roses”

Jamieanne — November 20, 2009 @ 5:05 am

Oh, I have that same pan that I got for Christmas last year and can you believe I have NEVER used it even once! I just don’t know how to frost them so I can still see the flower design of the cake!

Carol — November 20, 2009 @ 7:40 am

Hi Kirbie! Those came out so pretty! Hmm, how would you frost those without covering up the design?? I don’t like RV cake just by itself and I think it tastes best with real butter buttercream (it’s so addictive). I wonder if you could use something like the icing on a cinnamon roll and sort of drizzle it lightly on top of them? Or, maybe pipe in some of the buttercream into the center of the cake??

Sophie — November 20, 2009 @ 8:15 am

Those are some gorgeous roses. They’d be gorgeous on a cake, or served as is. I love that they’re red velvet and even perfect for the holidays :) .

Kirbie — November 20, 2009 @ 9:55 am

That’s the problem I was having. No one in my family really likes frosting, so it wasn’t a huge problem for me to leave them unfrosted. I think Carol’s suggestions below on the drizzle or frosting inside are good though!

Kirbie — November 20, 2009 @ 10:00 am

Hi Carol- I’m not a huge fan of frosting, and so I usually don’t frost my cupcakes. And even if I do enjoy the frosting, I try to avoid it to make things slightly “healthier.” I think your drizzle or piping sounds like a great idea though! I’ve seen a drizzle glaze on the large rose bundt cakes, so I think it should work fine for mini ones.

Kirbie — November 20, 2009 @ 10:02 am

I served these as is, but the idea of putting it in a large cake sounds great! I love the red color with Christmas coming soon. I can’t wait to add these to my Christmas meals.

yeon — November 20, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

you should use shortening on your pan and flour, instead of butter. butter browns too quickly and the beautiful color of these cakes would be hidden.

Nicole — November 21, 2009 @ 8:34 pm

these are so adorable! I’ve seen the rose pans in my local specialty store and don’t know what to do with them. These are definitely a nice idea.

Kirbie — November 24, 2009 @ 9:25 am

Thanks for the tip!

Kirbie — November 24, 2009 @ 9:26 am

I couldn’t resist this pan when I saw it!

DLS — December 30, 2009 @ 7:30 pm

Those are so pretty! I need to buy that pan too. For frosting why couldn’t you tint some vanilla frosting a leafy green color & just paint it on a couple of the outside edges? It would make it look like part of the rose but you’d have a little bit of frosting without covering it up. Or dust the top with a very light coating of powdered sugar or green sugar crystals or clear would look like raindrops.

Kirbie — January 1, 2010 @ 1:58 am

Thanks for the great ideas! I really want to try the frosting one!

english breakfast tea — January 1, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

I like very much this cup cakes. It is one of my favourite desserts. So I want to make it myself but I did not know its recipe tips. Well you mentioned tips here and solved my problem. Thanks for this recipe here. Now I can make it easily.

Sprinkles — September 30, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

These are fantastic I love your pan! have included them in our 50 Colorful Cupcake feature in the red section at Party Cupcake Ideas http://partycupcakeideas.com/50-colorful-cupcakes/

Kirbie — October 4, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

Thanks for linking to me in your article!

Tweets that mention Red Velvet Roses | Kirbie's Cravings -- Topsy.com — November 17, 2010 @ 10:48 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Cupcake Ideas, trishia samonte. trishia samonte said: Red Velvet Roses http://ow.ly/3aovd [...]