- 3 1/3 cups cake flour
- 375 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 6 tbsp red food coloring
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 340°F. Line a cupcake pan with liners (or in my case, I used my mini rose muffin bundt pan).
- In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well. (I found it hard to mix this. I'm not sure why the food coloring is added to this mixture and not directly into the liquid batter.)
- In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 2/3 full. Bake for 20 mins or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Recipe source: Evan's Kitchen Ramblings