These red velvet cookies have a layer of cream cheese in the middle and are studded with chocolate chips. From the outside, they look like regular cookies, but every bite reveals the tangy cream center filling.
I’ve made red velvet cookies every year for Valentine’s Day. While making my other red velvet creations last week, I came up with the idea to stuff the red velvet cookies with a cream cheese filling. Red velvet is often paired with cream cheese frosting, but my previous red velvet creations left it out. I stuffed the cookies similarly as I did with my Nutella stuffed cookies.
I did cheat a little, using cake mix for these cookies. I’m still working on a made-from-scratch recipe, hopefully, to be posted later this week. The red velvet cake mix version is pretty good and easy, especially if you are pressed for time. I’ve used cake mix to make chocolate cake mix cookies, too.
The nice thing about using cake mix is that it makes these cookies so easy to make. You only need six ingredients:
- Red Velvet Cake Mix – I like Duncan Hines
- Vegetable oil
- Chocolate chips
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
How to make the cookie dough: Combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil in a stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
How to make the filling: In a separate bowl, cream the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
How to stuff the cookies: Scoop a ping pong-sized ball of dough and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Add a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling. Pull the dough up around the filling and roll it into a ball so the filling is completely encased.
Bake the cookies: Place the balls on a baking sheet and press five chocolate chips into the top of each one. Bake them for 12 minutes at 350°F or until they are set. Let them cool on the baking sheet.
The cream cheese filling is a fun surprise but it also helps keep the cookies chewy and moist. These are perfect for the holiday season.
More Red Velvet Recipes
- Red Velvet Mug Cake
- Red Velvet Brownies (from scratch)
- Red Velvet Brownies (with cake mix)
- Red Velvet Cookies stuffed with Nutella
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate
- Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies
Red Velvet Cookies stuffed with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box red velvet cake mix I used Duncan Hines
- 2 eggs
- halfway between 1/3 and 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 oz 1/2 block cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two cookie sheets with silpat mat or parchment paper. In mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combined cake mix, eggs and oil. Mix until batter is smooth and no cake mix chunks remain.
- In a separate bowl or food processor, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Take ping pong sized amount of dough and flatten in palm of hand until it becomes a flat, round pancake. Place approximately 1 tsp cream cheese frosting into the middle of the dough. Seal up dough so that no icing is coming through. Roll and smooth back into a ball form. Place on cookie sheet and gently press 5 chocolate chips on top. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake about 12 minutes until cookies are set. Let cookies cool on baking sheets. They will initially be puffy and then will sink down and become flatter and chewier. Once cookies are completely cooled, remove from cookie sheet.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.