Tabe BBQ

A few weeks ago, I attempted to chase down the Kogi taco truck, but unfortunately did not get a chance to eat the popular tacos.  While food trucks have been all the craze in Los Angeles for quite a while now, it's only recently that craze has made its way to San Diego. I was first alerted of a mobile korean bbq truck similar to Kogi from Darlene of My Burning Kitchen.

Since then, I've wanted to pay Tabe BBQ a visit. None of the taco trucks seemed to be stopped near me, so I thought I'd tried their non-mobile location. Unfortunately, I planned on going on a Sunday, and they are closed on Sundays. So last week I saw on twitter that they would be only a couple of blocks away for me for lunch. What luck! Especially with the Kogi truck disappointment still fresh in my mind.

So during lunch, off I went to try the truck. Since I hadn't planned on this visit, all I had on me was my camera phone.

When I got there, there was a decent sized lunch crowd, but nothing like the insane line I had seen at the Kogi truck. I placed my order: a bbq beef taco and a spicy pork taco.

I didnt get great shots of the tacos. Trying to hold my tacos and take pictures with my camera phone is hard… Each taco was topped with salsa and lettuce.  Inside there was a good amount of meat. I've always liked korean bbq marinated meat. The meat was well marinated and tasted wonderful on the taco. It was a bit on the sweet side, but I didn't really mind. I know the concept is pretty simple: it's just a flour tortilla with some korean bbq meat, but the combination is delicious and addicting.  The spicy pork wasn't very spicy. It was more sweet than spicy, but I still enjoyed it.

I liked both tacos and would get them again. Next time I might try a burrito too.They also have some portebello mushroom taco special right now that looked pretty good.

15 Responses to “Tabe BBQ- Korean bbq taco truck”

1. Rosa — June 2, 2010 at 7:08 am

I was wondering when SD would start having food trucks!

2. Kirk — June 2, 2010 at 7:23 am

Hey Kirbie – I’m glad you enjoyed the stuff from Tabe. I tried them recently, and thought they used really lousy store bought tortillas, and the meat was too sweet. Of course, I didn’t care much for Kogi when I tried it……. I’m probably too unhip to enjoy it…..

3. Kirbie — June 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I agree that the meat was pretty sweet. Much sweeter than the korean bbq I’m used to, but since I have a sweet tooth, I still liked it. I brought some back for Boyfriend and he complained it was too sweet though.

4. Kirbie — June 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I know! SD takes so long to join these trends…

5. Dawn Hutchins — June 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I am so jealous of the taco truck! We don’t have those in Jax.

6. the diligent diletante — June 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

do you remember what the prices were?

7. Carolyn Jung — June 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I’ve had the Kogi. And I’ve had an imitator or two. If you’ve never had Kogi, then the others will seem fine enough. But once you have a Kogi taco, all other Korean-style tacos will pale in comparison.

8. Jess — June 2, 2010 at 11:51 pm

When I tried it the first time about a month ago, I got the Korean beef taco. Considering I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, I enjoyed it very much. The lady working there suggested me to take some of the sauce, but I still am uncertain if I were supposed to put on top.

9. Kirbie — June 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I believe it was $2.79 for each taco. The burritos were $5 something I believe, but don’t remember the exact amount.

10. Kirbie — June 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m always so jealous of the LA trucks, but I guess I should be thankful that I at least have a few in SD.

11. Kirbie — June 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

That’s what I’m afraid of! I’m afraid once I catch Kogi, I won’t like the ones in SD anymore!

12. Kirbie — June 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Hmm, I didn’t get any sauce. I think the salsa and the tortilla counteracts some of the sweetness. The meat is sweeter than I’m used to, but I like it still.

13. caninecologne — June 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm

very cool! i’ll have to try this next time.

14. Kirbie — June 4, 2010 at 9:27 am

This truck is much easier to chase down than the Kogi one. Hopefully you’ll like it!

15. Pingback: Tabe BBQ- Korean bbq taco truck | Online REL