I've been determined to make good use of my ice cream maker, so I've been trying out various recipes and just sort of inventing my own. On one visit to Niederfrank's Ice Cream, they had a thai tea ice cream that I really enjoyed. I decided to try to make my own.

I didn't want to experiment with custard based ice creams yet, so I just stuck with using mainly heavy cream for my base. The ice cream came out pretty good. I was afraid the color would be too light. I had bought thai tea bags, but then I got lazy and decided to use a can of thai tea I had laying around. The can was already premixed with sugar and milk, but the color wasn't a bright orange. However, the brown orange did seem to come out alright even after adding heavy cream, diluting the color even more.

This is a quick, basic recipe. I'm sure there are ways to make it even richer, creamier. But I like how this one tastes.

On another note, there's still time to enter my panda cookies giveaway
which you can read about here.

Thai Tea Ice Cream

Ingredients

1 cup of Thai tea (either canned that already has sugar and milk, or you can make your own by using thai tea bags/leaves and condensed milk)
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients into a bowl. Whisk for about one minute with a hand whisk

2. Pour ingredients into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.

3. You can serve immediately, or freeze a few hours for a harder ice cream.

13 Responses to “Thai Tea Ice Cream”

1. Two Foodies - One Journey — June 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm

What ice cream maker do you have ? We made a lot of icecreams in Gremany but our ice cream maker doesn’t work in the US (different voltage) and we are thinking about buying oen with an active cooling system instead of the old passive system.

2. Memoria — June 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Wow! Only a few ingredients. This looks lovely.

3. Vivienne — June 14, 2010 at 5:23 am

I love thai tea…so I can imagine this must’ve been so delicious!
    Wish I have an icecream maker too…def high on my to-buy list!

4. Kirbie — June 14, 2010 at 8:57 am

I have the Cuisine Art ICE-20. I got mine off of amazon. It’s easy to use because you don’t need to buy any salt or ice for it.

5. Kirbie — June 14, 2010 at 8:58 am

I love ice creams with simple ingredients. A lot easier to make.

6. Kirbie — June 14, 2010 at 8:58 am

You should definitely try making thai tea ice cream once you have an ice cream maker =)

7. RunnerX210 — June 14, 2010 at 10:36 am

Try using the actual Thai tea leaves which you can get at Ranch 99. They have deeper color and easy to steep, and you can use a lot to concentrated the flavor and color.
    Steve

8. Kirbie — June 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I thought the leaves might produce a better color. Next time I’ll try doing that. I already bought the leaves.

9. penandra — June 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

I recently made chai ice cream — it’s like eating a chai latte in a bowl! Yummy! Like most of us, I have a basic ice cream recipe that I go back to and I used that. I heated the ingredients and added the chai spices (including the pepper corns) and let it steep — however I use condensed milk (Trader Joe’s is a great place to get this at a good price) instead of sugar . . . whether I use milk or half and half, the condensed milk seems to give the finished ice cream a richer taste (no matter the flavor). I would think it would be particularly good with Thai tea, too!

10. Kirbie — June 17, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I think next time I’ll use tea leaves and condensed milk, and see the difference. I’m thinking it will taste and look even better.

11. penandra — June 18, 2010 at 10:48 am

I heated the milk and then steeped the chai and spices . . . strained it out before mixing in the condensed milk. Let us know how your next batch turns out!!!

12. Kirbie — June 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I’m going to try this again really soon and I’ll definitely write about how it turns out!

13. Dinetonite — November 16, 2010 at 7:29 am

Great recipe!! I think it requires a bigger bowl. YUMMMY!!!