Monday, October 25, 2010

Mini Apple cider donuts

Lately, I’ve seen a lot of recipes out there for apple cider donuts.  I’ve never eaten apple cider donuts, so I decided to try making some this weekend.

I used a recipe I found on The City Sisters. The recipe is for baked mini donuts rather than fried ones. I plan on trying a fried version in the new future. The baked donuts recipe gave me a chance to use my mini donut pan again.

I love how easy these baked donut recipes are to whip up. I only used a whisk and no mixer. I had to make a few changes to the recipe. For one thing, I didn’t have any apple butter. I tried to buy some, but couldn’t find any. So I replaced it with apple sauce.  I also didn’t have any maple syrup, so I used agave nectar. I also didn’t sprinkle the pans with sugar. Instead, I waited until the donuts had cooled and then used some melted butter and dipped the donuts in a cinnamon sugar mixture.

These mini baked donuts came out wonderfully. They were so soft and the donuts have a great apple cider taste with a hint of autumn spices. To my surprise, they taste even better the next day because it lets the apple flavor really sink in.

I love these donuts even without the cinnamon sugar topping. But they don’t look so pretty plain so I added the cinnamon sugar mix.

Mini Baked Apple Cider Donuts (adapted from recipe found on The City Sisters)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 large egg
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup agave nectar (or maple syrup)
1/3 cup spiced apple cider
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Topping:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray mini donut pan with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

3. In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, applesauce, agave nectar, cider, yogurt, and oil.

4, Add in dry ingredients and stir until combined.

5. Fill each mini donut halfway.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  Let donuts cool slightly for a few minutes.  Use a plastic knife, gently pry around edges of the donut until donuts pop out.

6. Let donuts cool completely. Then melt 1/4 cup butter in a small glass bowl. In another small bowl, combine 2/3 cup white sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.  Dip top of donuts in melted butter and then dip in the sugar mixture.

12 Responses to “Mini Apple cider donuts”

Nicole O. — October 26, 2010 @ 7:24 am

I wonder if you could bake these on a pan, regular sized, without the mini-donut pan?
    I have a regular donut cutter and have been looking for a recipe for baked donuts forever!

• claribelle replied: — October 26th, 2010 @ 8:19 am

I’ve never tried using a donut cutter and no mould..The dough for this recipe may be a bit too sticky to try using a donut cutter. You could definitely put it in some other mold like mini muffin pan, cupcake pan, mini bundt pans.

Michelle — October 27, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

goshhhh! i keep seeing your mini donuts and each post makes my tummy rumble. i really need to get my hands on a mini donut pan…

• claribelle replied: — October 27th, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

I heart my mini donut pan! I never thought I would like mini donuts so much. I bought two pans off of amazon and I definitely feel like I’ve baked my money’s worth. Of course the only problem is I can’t stop eating these mini donuts..

Pretty. Good. Food. — October 28, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Mmm, mm mmmm! These look delicious! I have a brunch coming up and think I’ll make these :) So cute!

• claribelle replied: — October 28th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

I hope you enjoy them! The best part is that they are baked, and are healthier than regular donuts, so you can eat more without feeling guilty!

Kate — October 30, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

Thank you for the delicious recipe. Made them this afternoon for my Mom and toddler son and they were loved by all of us. Very easy recipe, and finally one for our mini doughnut pans!

• claribelle replied: — October 31st, 2010 @ 12:52 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I plan on making some more soon. They are definitely easy to make and yummy.

Cindie — October 16, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I found this recipe on Tastespotting, definitely trying it out! I have never eaten apple cider donuts but they look delicious and pretty easy to make, thanks for adapting it (I don’t have apple butter either!)

• Kirbie replied: — October 16th, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I enjoyed these. I hope you do too!

Sara Jane — October 5, 2013 @ 8:42 am

Maybe I did something wrong! I just got done making these and I had to make some adjustments to the baking time and temperature. Unfortunately, my first pan of donuts baked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes turned out like dog biscuits. It took me a few more rounds to figure out the donuts were perfect baked at 350 for 6 minutes.
    To neatly fill the mini donut pan, I put the batter in a piping bag with a size 12 tip. I found that if I filled them over half they ended up looking like mini muffins with holes in them.
    If I made these again I would go find the apple butter, they just don’t have a noticeable apple flavor I was looking for.

• Kirbie replied: — October 6th, 2013 @ 7:22 am

Hmm, I’m not sure why you had trouble with the baking time or with them spreading.