Another pumpkin recipe in my pumpkin baking madness. I’ve made cream cheese swirl brownies before, and this time I did a pumpkin cheesecake swirl version. My previous cream cheese brownies had always started with a brownie mix.
This time I decided to make it all from scratch. I tried out a recipe I found on Perry’s Plate. The brownies were really simple to make. I had a little problem with the swirl affect. I didn’t leave enough regular brownie batter, so there was a lot of pumpkin cheesecake batter left on the top layer.
I’m not a huge fan of cream cheese brownies. I don’t particularly like cream cheese and I like my brownies to be chewy. But I love the color you can get with cream cheese brownies, such as black and white brownies or matcha green tea swirl brownies. The brownies are fudgey and have a sour tang of cream cheese as well as the taste of pumpkin and autumn spices.
Pumpkin cream cheese swirl brownies (adapted from Perry’s Plate)
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pumpkin Cheesecake Batter:
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8″ baking pan.
2. For the Brownie batter: Beat together melted butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Then beat in eggs one at a time. Whisk flour and cocoa powder in small bowl, and then gradually stir into butter mixture by hand.
3. For the Pumpkin cheesecake mixture: Soften cream cheese in microwave. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in remainder of ingredients until smooth.
4. Spread about 2/3 of brownie batter into prepared pan. Drop dollops of the pumpkin batter over top, distributing evenly. Drop the remaining brownie batter over cheesecake batter. To make the swirls, run a butter knife back and forth through the pan, making figure eights.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.