These fudgy brownies are swirled with matcha cream cheese which gives the brownies a pretty marbled look.
I love the combination of matcha and chocolate. Not only do the flavors work well together but the color contrast is quite beautiful too. To showcase matcha in these brownies, the matcha powder is mixed into cream cheese. It’s then swirled into the brownie batter.
Matcha Cream Cheese
For the matcha swirl, I used Maeda-En* matcha green tea powder. I combined it with cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and an egg.
If you’ve never baked with matcha powder you should check out my Matcha Powder post – in it, I share all of my best tips baking with matcha and the best kind of matcha powder to use. Plus, I share all of my favorite matcha baking recipes including my Matcha Green Tea Sugar Cookies and Matcha Latte Mug Cake.
I took a little shortcut with the brownies because I really love how boxed brownies bake up fudgy and chewy. I don’t always get the same result with from-scratch brownies so for these swirled brownies I used a boxed mix.
I used Pillsbury Traditional Fudge Brownie Mix and all you have to do is combine the mix with a little water, some vegetable oil, and a couple of eggs. Mix it up in one bowl and your brownie batter is ready to go.
- To create the marbled (or swirl) effect, pour half of the brownie batter into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Pour the matcha cream cheese mixture over the top of the brownie batter and smooth it into an even layer.
- Top the cream cheese layer with spoonfuls of the rest of the brownie batter. You don’t want to completely cover the cream cheese layer, just drop spoonfuls of the brownie batter in a random pattern on top.
- To create the marbled look, insert a knife into the batter and pull it around in wide curves. Turn the pan and repeat this process again.
Once you’ve swirled the brownies bake them for 32 to 35 minutes at 350°F. I like to cool the brownies completely and then pop them in the refrigerator to chill them further. This helps set the cream cheese swirl and makes it easier to slice the brownies when you’re ready to serve them.
If you like this recipe, you might like my Pumpkin Swirl Brownies, too.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Matcha Green Tea Swirl Brownies
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 (19.25-oz) box Traditional Fudge Brownie mix
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all filling ingredients in small bowl; beat until smooth. Set aside. Combine all brownie ingredients in large bowl; beat 50 strokes with spoon.
- Spread half of brownie batter in prepared pan. Pour filling mixture over brownie batter, spreading to cover. Top with spoonfuls of remaining brownie batter. To marble, pull knife through batter in wide curves; turn pan and repeat.
- Bake the brownies 32 to 35 minutes or until set. Cool completely. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.