Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies
I saw these red velvet shortbread cookies last year and knew I had to try making them this year. I love red velvet cupcakes and I love how festive these cookies look with all the color.
The original recipe dipped the cookie in a white chocolate. Mine don’t look exactly like the originals. I couldn’t find a circle cookie cutter of the size I wanted for these cookies, so I made stars instead. I also dipped them in dark chocolate rather than white chocolate.
I had to change the recipe somewhat because the dough simply would not come together when I followed the recipe. It was just a crumbly mess. I also though the shortbread cookies weren’t sweet enough. After I made modifications, I went back to the website I found the recipe from and found out she had some notes on modifications and it looks like she has similar problems with not enough butter or sugar, so it’s good to know it wasn’t just me.
Here is my modified recipe:
1¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
2/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
¼ Teaspoon Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter, cut up into small cubes
1 Tablespoon Red Food Coloring
4 Ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
Red and green Nonpareils
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and mix for about 30 seconds on medium speed. Add butter and red food coloring. Continue to mix on medium to high speed until dough comes together and you can squeeze it into a ball shape.
2. Knead dough into a ball and then Roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using cookie cutter shapes of your choice, begin cutting cookies from dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Press dough scraps together and reroll and make more cookies until dough is used up.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes for small cookies or 20 minutes for bigger cookies until centers are set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
4. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until it just begins to boil. Turn off stove and pour the heavy cream into a small glass bowl containing the chopped chocolate. Stir until you have a smooth chocolate ganache.
5. Dip half the cookies into the chocolate. Then add some sprinkles. Place cookies on parchment paper until the ganache has cooled and set. Makes about 24 cookies.