I saw these red velvet shortbread cookies last year and knew I had to try making them this year. I love red velvet cupcakes and I love how festive these cookies look with all the color.

As a side note, I’m doing 12 days of giveaways in honor of the holidays. There’s still some time to enter Day 9, Day 10, Day 11, and Day 12!

The original recipe dipped the cookie in a white chocolate. Mine don’t look exactly like the originals. I couldn’t find a circle cookie cutter of the size I wanted for these cookies, so I made stars instead. I also dipped them in dark chocolate rather than white chocolate.

I had to change the recipe somewhat because the dough simply would not come together when I followed the recipe.  It was just a crumbly mess. I also though the shortbread cookies weren’t sweet enough. After I made modifications, I went back to the website I found the recipe from and found out she had some notes on modifications and it looks like she has similar problems with not enough butter or sugar, so it’s good to know it wasn’t just me.

Here is my modified recipe:

Red velvet shortbread cookies (adapted from recipe found on The Culinary Chronicles, who got the recipe from Better Home and Gardens)

1¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
2/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons  Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
¼ Teaspoon  Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter, cut up into small cubes
1 Tablespoon Red Food Coloring

Decoration
4 Ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
Red and green Nonpareils

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and mix for about 30 seconds on medium speed.  Add butter and red food coloring. Continue to mix on medium to high speed until dough comes together and you can squeeze it into a ball shape.

2. Knead dough into a ball and then Roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using cookie cutter shapes of your choice, begin cutting cookies from dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Press dough scraps together and reroll and make more cookies until dough is used up.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes for small cookies or 20 minutes for bigger cookies until centers are set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.

4. In a  small saucepan, heat heavy cream until it just begins to boil.  Turn off stove and pour the heavy cream into a small glass bowl containing the chopped chocolate. Stir until you have a smooth chocolate ganache.

5. Dip half the cookies into the chocolate. Then add some sprinkles. Place cookies on parchment paper until the ganache has cooled and set. Makes about 24 cookies.

10 Responses to “Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies”

1. Carol — December 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I love the way they look, so festive!

2. Niki — December 20, 2010 at 6:26 am

I saw some red velvet cake cookies, but these look like they would def be more festive! I am going to add these to my list!

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 10:57 am

I love how festive they are too!

3. Niki — December 27, 2010 at 7:35 am

Okay!!! You have to tell me what I did wrong here. I followed your recipe to the “T” and they spread out so bad and looked like lace cookies! The flavor was great, but they did not hold up well at all, very crumbly b/c they were so thin. :(

• Kirbie replied: — December 27th, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Hmm…mine didn’t spread out at all….They basically maintained the same shape as when they were cut outs. I don’t see why your cookies should spread since there is no ingredient in the cookies to make them spread. How was your dough? Was it crumbly? Shortbread dough should be pretty dry, so that it just barely comes together into a ball.
      You used regular flour and not self rising flour right? Also you only used one cup of butter (2 sticks)? Using either too much butter or having some other agent like baking soda or baking powder are the only reasons I can think of for these cookies to spread out so much..

4. Niki — January 4, 2011 at 6:26 am

Yeah, I really followed your receipt to the T. I’m a big advocate of mise en place, so I measure everything out and check it again before tossing it into the bowl to mix. They tasted great though!

• Kirbie replied: — January 4th, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Sorry to hear your cookies spread so much. I don’t know what could have gone wrong. I’m glad they still taste good though!

5. Beth — November 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

Sometimes putting the dough in the fridge before cooking will keep them from spreading. I will be trying these out to make for a cookie exchange. :)

6. yana — July 31, 2013 at 4:39 am

can i use custard powder instead of flour?

• Kirbie replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 8:11 am

Unfortunately, no. I dont think custard powder is a substitute for flour for this recipe.