I saw a version of these easy breakfast cups on Dine and Dish and immediately wanted to make them. I’ve previously made bacon egg toast cups, but these are even easier (though you don’t get the toast).
All you need to do is crack an egg into a muffin mold. And you sprinkle cheese and bacon bits on top. The original version uses ham and cheese, but I didn’t have any ham in the house. I did have bacon though.
These took only a few minutes to put together and a few minutes to cook. One of the easier breakfast dishes ever. And everyone loved them, especially FH. He kept eating them and I had to stop him from eating too many egg yolks.
Since everyone in the family likes runny yolks, I made these again the next day and tried to have the egg yolk peaking through. This idea didn’t turn out that well. The egg white ended up cooking over the egg yolk so it was still pretty hidden. However, there was a small layer of egg yolk peeking through and this allowed me to know when to remove the eggs without fully cooking the yolk. But the overall presentation wasn’t as pretty.
This recipe is adapted from Dine and Dish. I added bacon to mine, I also had a different baking temperature and cook time, and I didn’t pierce my egg yolks.
Bacon and Cheese Egg Cups
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 12 mins
* 6 eggs
* shredded cheese
* 2 pieces of bacon, chopped into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 6 muffin cups.
2. Crack egg into each muffin cup, making sure to not break the yolk.
3. Sprinkle cheese on top of the egg, covering surface. Sprinkle bacon pieces on top of cheese. If you want a runny yolk and want to gage the doneness of the yolk, only sprinkle cheese and bacon on the egg white and make sure not to cover yolk.
4. Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes depending on how well done you want your yolk.
Adapted from Dine and Dish