I saw a version of these easy breakfast cups on Dine and Dish and immediately wanted to make them. I’ve previously made bacon egg toast cups, but these are even easier (though you don’t get the toast).

All you need to do is crack an egg into a muffin mold. And you sprinkle cheese and bacon bits on top. The original version uses ham and cheese, but I didn’t have any ham in the house. I did have bacon though.

These took only a few minutes to put together and a few minutes to cook. One of the easier breakfast dishes ever. And everyone loved them, especially FH. He kept eating them and I had to stop him from eating too many egg yolks.

Since everyone in the family likes runny yolks, I made these again the next day and tried to have the egg yolk peaking through. This idea didn’t turn out that well. The egg white ended up cooking over the egg yolk so it was still pretty hidden. However, there was a small layer of egg yolk peeking through and this allowed me to know when to remove the eggs without fully cooking the yolk. But the overall presentation wasn’t as pretty.

This recipe is adapted from Dine and Dish. I added bacon to mine, I also had a different baking temperature and cook time, and I didn’t pierce my egg yolks.

Print Print Save Save

Bacon and Cheese Egg Cups

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 12 mins

* 6 eggs
* shredded cheese
* 2 pieces of bacon, chopped into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 6 muffin cups.
2. Crack egg into each muffin cup, making sure to not break the yolk.
3. Sprinkle cheese on top of the egg, covering surface. Sprinkle bacon pieces on top of cheese. If you want a runny yolk and want to gage the doneness of the yolk, only sprinkle cheese and bacon on the egg white and make sure not to cover yolk.
4. Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes depending on how well done you want your yolk.

Adapted from Dine and Dish

19 Responses to “Bacon and Cheese Egg Cups”

1. Sarah — September 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

Loving this idea! The cups turned out beautifully. Thank you for sharing! :)

• Kirbie replied: — September 2nd, 2011 @ 11:18 am

They are so easy and delicious. And I like that you can put a few in a bag if you are in a rush and on the go.

2. myFudo — September 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Wow, so adorable. The perfect way to start the morning. Really looks good.

• Kirbie replied: — September 2nd, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

I loved them. I hope you will too

3. Tres Delicious — September 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oh my… I love this stuff. It’s awakening my cravings for bacon and egg.

• Kirbie replied: — September 3rd, 2011 @ 12:40 am

Bacon and eggs is a great combo.

4. Paula — September 4, 2011 at 7:20 am

Oh!! It’s a version, even faster and easier, of the minicocotte!! And is better, because is a smaller bite. It’s perfect!! The delicious mini cocotte converted in a mini mini cocotte, and so cute!!!
    I will try it this week!

• Kirbie replied: — September 4th, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Oh I’ve never had or heard of mini cocotte’s before. When I do a search, it just shows me a pot. Do you have a mini cocotte recipe?

5. Rose — September 5, 2011 at 1:11 am

This is brilliant! I just moved to a new place and my skillets don’t work on my stove :( (induction) so this is a great way for me to still get a fried egg! This makes me so happy, thank you thank you thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — September 5th, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Aww, I’m glad I could help out!

6. Peggy — September 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I think I’d have a hard time NOT eating these! And everything is always better with bacon right? =)

• Kirbie replied: — September 7th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Yes, everything is definitely better with bacon!

7. Jennifer — September 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ve been wanting to make something like these for a long time. A lot of recipes I’ve found have some sort of breading or hashbrown added into it and I try to avoid those ingredients. These are perfect! Do you think they would taste as good reheated the next morning?

• Kirbie replied: — September 12th, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

They taste best the first day straight out of the oven, but they still taste good reheated too. I eat them reheated all the time.

8. kim — November 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Is the bacon cooked (half-cooked?) already? I’m making these tomorrow, so I’d appreciate a quick response if you can! Thanks

• Kirbie replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Yes, the bacon is already partially cooked or else it might have trouble cooking in the oven because it takes a while to cook bacon in the oven. Hope you like these!

9. Jim — August 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

Holy Breakfast Dreamfood, Batman! I can’t wait to try these!

10. Cath — September 1, 2013 at 3:10 am

Thanks for sharing this great idea. What kind of cheese should I use for this recipe?

• Kirbie replied: — September 1st, 2013 @ 9:08 am

I used cheddar, but you can use anyone you like!