I’ve been craving castella cake for a while now, and I finally got around to making one this weekend. Castella cake (also called kasutera cake) is a japanese sponge cake which is moist and spongy despite not using any oil. Instead, it is made using a technique by whipping eggs (with the yolks) until they form peaks.

A while back when I was in my castella cake baking craze, I had planned on baking a matcha flavored one. But on my attempt to bake it, I completely forgot to add the matcha powder. So it ended up being a regular honey sponge cake. This time I remembered to add the matcha powder.

For some reason, the taste of honey mixed with green tea powder through me off a little. I think next time I make the green tea version I will leave out the honey.

Other than that though, the cake was as good as I remember. The castella cake is definitely one of my favorite cakes of all time. Unlike other sponge cakes, the cake isn’t as airy or light as cakes baked with whipped egg whites. Instead, this cake has a bouncy texture and tight crumbs. Despite it not having oil, you don’t miss it at all and can’t tell that is the case.

I’ve documented how to successfully make a good castella cake in previous posts as well as describing the castella cake in more detail so I’m not going to go into it again. Once you figure out how to make the cake, it’s actually not too hard. The tips I’ve learned can be found in my previous posts here and here.  I used the same recipe I previously used except that I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of high quality matcha powder. The green tea powder should be added to the flour mixture. You can view the recipe here.

12 Responses to “Matcha Green Tea Castella Cake”

1. Kay — October 31, 2011 at 7:28 am

This looks just like the ones they sell in Japan!

• Kirbie replied: — October 31st, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Aw, thanks. I’ve been practicing on making it better. Unfortunately, I always have to cut off a lot of the edge pieces and a lot of pieces look uneven with my knife cutting skills. I only end up with a few really pretty ones. Actually even one of the ones in this photo is a little lopsided, you just can’t really see because it’s in the back. haha.

2. joanh — October 31, 2011 at 7:28 am

no oil? looks SO good!

• Kirbie replied: — October 31st, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Yes, I was surprised. But traditional castella cake doesn’t use any oil. You really can’t tell. It doesn’t taste “different” like you sometimes get with things that don’t use oil.

3. Paula — October 31, 2011 at 8:46 am

Sometimes, I also forget to add some important ingredient. I have made Rosemary crackers with no rosemary, and a pizza where the basil was the special ingredient, but forgetting to add it.
    So, I understand you so well!!

But finally, this matcha cake seems delicious, and the preparations with the eggs sounds interesting. I have to try it!
    The marble ones seems also really special!

• Kirbie replied: — October 31st, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Haha. The funny thing is I never even notice until I’m completely finished. And then I’ll look at it and be like “Oh no! This was supposed to be a ___ flavor!”

4. Jane — January 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Admire your cake.. Texture so event & fine.. I bought a wooden mold & tried making tis cake 3 times last week still couldn’t achieve the satisfying result. I used a hand whisk to beat. I anticipated 3 different results following Diana’s recipe.. 1st attempt: cake rise even on top but middle bottom a bit hollow ; 2nd attempt: cake didn’t rise much, dense; 3rd attempt: cake raised evenly but not so light.
    I wud appreciate if you could share more tips on making this cake.
    Tks

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2013 @ 10:28 am

I explain more on my experience through this post http://kirbiecravings.com/2011/03/honey-castella-cake-mastered.html
      It sounds like maybe your eggs have not reached the desired texture needed. It is hard to hand whisk. I always use an electric mixer and it already takes a long time, so I cannot imagine how long it will take by hand. Do you have an electric mixer to try using instead?
      Also I have not tried with wooden molds before.

5. Jane — January 11, 2013 at 3:08 am

Sorry, I used an electric hand mixer (the small type). I guess it is high time for me to buy a good electric mixer. Thank you very much for your feed back.

• Kirbie replied: — January 11th, 2013 @ 10:06 am

Ah, yeah those eggs take a lot of effort. It really helps to have a good stand mixer. My first time failed too.

6. Earthling — January 9, 2014 at 2:36 am

How much green tea powder did you add?

• Kirbie replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

As stated in the end of the post, 1 1/2 tbsp. hope that helps!