You only need one bowl and about 10 minutes of prep time to make these soft and fluffy matcha green tea yogurt cakes. The yogurt gives these cakes a wonderful texture and matcha powder gives them a pretty green hue.
I’ve never eaten or made a yogurt cake before. I found a recipe for green tea yogurt cupcakes on Little Corner of Mine. The recipe looked so easy that I had to try it out, but I made some changes and the result came out delicious! Very easy to make and very tasty! Sweet, fluffy, moist. Delicious! And a lovely, light green color.
The yogurt is very important in this recipe. It helps keep the cakes soft and moist and it also gives the cake flavor. For this recipe, I used six ounces of vanilla yogurt. The original recipe calls for plain yogurt, but the vanilla yogurt I used gives the cakes an extra boost of flavor. Be sure to use regular yogurt which has a thin consistency. Greek yogurt is thicker and could change the texture of the cake.
Matcha Green Tea Powder
I love making matcha desserts because the green tea gives cakes and other baked goods a beautiful green color and distinct bittersweet flavor. The kind of matcha powder you use matters because I’ve found that cheaper grades (like culinary grade) don’t stay green during baking. Choose a premium grade or ceremonial grade of matcha powder. I like to use Maeda-En* universal quality matcha green tea powder. It’s a little pricier but you only need to use a little and a small canister can last for several recipes. I added more matcha than the original recipe to ensure my cakes had a beautiful green color.
One Bowl Cupcake Recipe
The best thing about this recipe is that you only need one bowl. All you need to do is whisk the dry ingredients and then add the wet ones. I made mini bundt cakes and cupcakes. The recipe below makes approximately 15 cupcakes.
You might like to try my green tea cupcakes, too.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Matcha Green Tea Yogurt Cakes
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder (see note)
- 1 (6-oz) container vanilla yogurt
- 3 large eggs whisk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Place paper cups in the muffin pan.
- In a big bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and matcha powder. Add the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and oil and stir until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the pan filling each cup 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- You can also make miniature bunt cakes if you have the little pans. I made a few bundt cakes as well as cupcakes.
- I like to use Maeda-En* universal quality matcha green tea powder.
- Recipe adapted from Little Corner of Mine
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
More Matcha Green Tea Cakes
Matcha Latte Mug Cake | Looking for a single-serving matcha cake? This matcha latte flavored mug cake cooks in the microwave for an easy dessert that is ready in just a few minutes.
Matcha Green Tea Molten Lava Cakes | Matcha green tea is mixed with white chocolate to create delicate cakes with a molten lava center. It’s an easy dessert to make for a dinner party or date night.
Matcha Green Tea Castella Cake | Castella cake is a popular Japanese sponge cake. The cake has a spongy texture and this version is made with matcha which gives the cake flavor and a beautiful green color.