These pretty green tea cupcakes are made with white cake mix so they’re very easy to make. The cupcakes have a pretty green and white marbled look and bake up moist and delicious.
A week ago, I discovered how easy it is to bake with matcha green tea, which I love. I made a matcha green tea chocolate cake and so I wanted to try another matcha green tea recipe this weekend so I decided to make green tea cupcakes.
I wanted the cupcakes to have a marbled look, but I didn’t have a lot of time because it was a busy weekend. So, I used a white cake mix as a shortcut.
Two Ingredient Matcha Cupcakes
- White cake mix
- Matcha green tea powder
Make the cake as directed on the box and divide the batter in half.
Add the matcha powder to one half of the batter.
Spoon a generous tablespoon or so of the white batter into each cupcake mold. Top with the matcha batter, filling the mold up to 2/3 full. Bake the cupcakes for the time recommended on the cake mix box.
Tips for Making Them
- Using a cake mix makes these cupcakes so easy. I just made the cake as instructed on the box and divided the batter in half.
- I added matcha powder to one half of the batter and left the other half plain.
- The matcha batter will be thicker than the plain batter, which I was concerned about but the cupcakes came out fine.
- The only issue I had was swirling the two batters together. Since the matcha batter was thicker it was hard to swirl the two together in the small cupcake molds. They ended up looking more marbled, which I thought looked good. From the top, the cupcakes look like one flavor but when you cut into them you see the white cake layer so it’s like a little surprise.
- I thought the green color from the matcha came out really well. If you want to learn more about matcha powder I wrote a whole post about Baking with Matcha Powder that you might like.
Overall, I’m happy with how these green tea cupcakes came out – the cake is moist and I love the colors. The white and green are very pretty together. I also loved how easy they are to make with cake mix. It’s a great cupcake recipe if you want to make something creative when you don’t have a lot of time.
More Easy Cake Mix Recipes
- Cake Mix Chocolate Cookies are easy cookies you can make with chocolate cake mix. They’re soft and chewy and you’d never guess that they’re not made from scratch.
- I love to use cake mix to make Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies because I don’t have to make a mess with red food dye. Everything you need is in the mix.
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake Mix Mug Cake is a quick and easy dessert for one.
- Try my super easy Molten Chocolate Lava Mug Cake that uses cake mix as the base but doesn’t require oil and eggs.
Matcha Green Tea and White Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix batter prepared according to package directions
- 3 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- Preheat the oven to the recommended temperature on the cake mix package.
- Divide the cake mix batter evenly between two medium-sized bowls. Prepare a muffin tin with baking spray.
- Add the matcha powder to one of the bowls of batter and stir to combine.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon or so of the white batter into each muffin slot. Top the white batter with the matcha batter, filling the slot up to 2/3 full. Bake the cupcakes for the time recommended on the cake mix.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.