Pumpkin Cinnamon Monkey Bread with Rum Glaze
Pumpkin cinnamon breads have been on my mind lately. I made some cinnamon pumpkin bubble buns which I absolutely adored.
For another breakfast treat, I made some cinnamon pumpkin monkey breads topped with a rum glaze. Yummy. I baked them in this pumpkin baking pan, hoping that they would look like mini pumpkins, but it’s hard to tell since there are so many separate pieces placed into each mold.
I love pulling apart these breads piece by piece and I like how they look like mini cakes.
I’ve never made monkey bread from scratch, so I used the bubble bun recipe I used previously, except this time topping it with a rum glaze. These tasted delicious. Sweet, ooey gooey and I love the rum glaze. These mini pull apart bread buns are a perfect weekend breakfast indulgence.
Cinnamon Pumpkin Monkey Pull Apart Bread Buns
* 1 package active dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water
* 3 tbsp butter, melted
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
* 3 tbsp sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 cups flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 6 tbsp butter, melted
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 3 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
* 1 cup icing sugar
* 2 tbsp milk
* 1/2 tsp dark rum
1. Place water in bowl of stand mixer and sprinkle yeast over. Let stand until bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in butter, sour cream, sugar, egg, pumpkin and vanilla. Beat in 3 cups of flour, the salt and baking soda until incorporated. Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour and continue to mix until a smooth, soft dough forms. If dough does not come together, add another 1/4 cup of flour. The dough should remain sticky and wet (you don't want to add too much flour and dry out the dough) but you should be able to remove entire dough from mixing bowl.
2. Knead dough until smooth, using the dough hook attachment, about 2-3 minutes. Place dough in a glass bowl greased with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar for coating. In another small bowl, melt butter in microwave. Grease mini bundt pans. My pumpkin mini bundts are about the size of muffin pans. Roll dough into a long cylinder and then divide into 12 equal portions (less if you have bigger and fewer pans). Divide each of the 12 portions into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
4. For each bun, coat eight balls with melted butter and then roll them in cinnamon nutmeg sugar. Arrange 8 balls in each prepared muffin cup.
5. Cover buns loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until puffy and have doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake buns until golden and dough is fully cooked, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan.
7. Place buns on a wire rack. Place a piece of parchment paper underneath wire rack. In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients and stir until smooth. Drizzle tops of bread buns with glaze.
Adapted from All Day I Dream About Food
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!