My brother requested that I find a macaroni and cheese recipe that is creamy, homemade, but still resembles the instant Kraft ones we ate as kids. So I’ve been on a mission to discover the best homemade stove top recipe.

I tried a recipe a few months back that seemed promising but ended up being a complete mess. I tried another recipe recently that got good reviews on Allrecipes. I changed the recipe around to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand.

The macaroni and cheese was pretty creamy, cheesy and easy to put together. But it’s not exactly what I am looking for. It had a ton of cheese in it too, which didn’t look so pretty once it got cold. I’m going to continue searching for the ultimate recipe. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Print Print Save Save

Macaroni and Cheese

1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups milk
16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

1. Bring a saucepan to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook until not quite done, about 6 minutes.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour, mustard powder, and pepper until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk. Add in the cheese, and stir constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth.
3. Drain noodles, and stir them into the cheese sauce. Serve while warm

Adapted from All Recipes

28 Responses to “Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese”

1. Kay — December 14, 2011 at 9:29 am

This looks way better than the soup I just had for lunch, haha

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Haha. It was pretty good but not quite there for me. Still looking for the best recipe. I have a lot of cheese and recipes left to check out.

2. Ann P. — December 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

Try the stovetop macaroni recipe from Annies-eats.net! Here’s the link:

She has one of my favorite cooking blogs, and a ton of great macaroni recipes :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Thanks! I love Annie’s Eats too!

3. Lauren — December 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I have been on a mission for perfect stovetop mac and cheese too! Something quick and creamy :) I’ve tried this one, without the buttermilk though, and it’s pretty good! I’m sure you could make it your own somehow.
    Not sure if you’re against velveeta, but it really does add to the smooth texture.

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Thanks for the link! I was actually going to try this recipe again with velveeta because it’s in the original recipe, but I didn’t have any on hand.

4. Simply Tia — December 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This looks very creamy, delicious and comforting!

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

It was pretty easy to make and very creamy. I’m still in the search for the ultimate recipe, but this was a nice start.

5. Ana_ILTdP — December 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hola!
    I love mac&cheese, specially homemade, I actually looked for the same formula years ago, and I found it (or sorta). I will look for it and share with you, I think it was in the book “like mother used to make” of Tim Norrington Jones. Very nice book, by the way :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 14th, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

It would be great if you find the recipe!

6. Michelle — December 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I was on the search for the same thing! I have tried many recipes that turned out too grainy or cheesy or bland. I finally found this one that has come the closest to the kraft mac and cheese I grew up on.

I reduced the amount of evaporated milk and added more regular milk because the leftovers were still a little too grainy for my taste. I also like using a mild cheddar or even colby jack for a less intense flavor. Hope this helps a little :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Thanks for the link! I will have to try this one out.

7. Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time — December 14, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Wow this looks excellent! Great photos too :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Thank you!

8. Connie — December 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

It looks pretty good, not gonna lie. I’ve never made mac and cheese from scratch but I plan to during my “winter vacation.” Just got my issue of Bon Appetit, there are 10 different versions of mac and cheese, looks so intriguing!

• Kirbie replied: — December 15th, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

Oh wow, 10 version! Will you try them all?

9. terry — December 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Alton Brown has a pretty tasty stovetop mac and cheese that a catering friend of mine uses. I’m sure a google search would bring it up for you ~~

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Oh yes, I have Alton Brown’s recipe! That’s actually the one I plan on trying next.

10. Valerie — December 16, 2011 at 5:03 am

Alton Brown’s is the closest recipe to the Kraft stovetop that I’ve ever found. It’s quick and easy to make and easy to customize, too. We like to make it with a little bit of pepper jack in place of some of the cheddar. And I’ve used cream and half and half in place of the evaporated milk with no problems.

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Thanks for the link and for letting me know what variations work! I don’t usually have evaporated milk so I’m glad cream and half and half work.

11. Connie — December 16, 2011 at 11:08 am

Kirbie: I doubt that I will try all 10, at least not all once! Maybe one a month, don’t think this waistline can handle that much cheese and carbs. :-)

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Haha. Well if you find one you love, please share!

12. Jessica — December 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Hi highly recommend you try Alton Brown’s Stovetop Mac & Cheese. It is wonderful!

• Kirbie replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! I’m excited to try it

13. The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com — December 19, 2011 at 7:59 am

I love to use at least 2-3 cheese in mac and cheese–at least one for a strong tang like a sharp cheddar or gruyere and at least one for creaminess like fontina. I am also not a big fan of not baking the mac and cheese because I like mine really saucy so you can always skip that step in a recipe. I recently tried America’s Test Kitchen recipe and it was really good! Sounds like not a bad taste test to find the perfect recipe.

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

• Kirbie replied: — December 19th, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Thanks for the recommendation!

14. biz — March 15, 2012 at 6:20 pm

my husband and i usually just make homemade mac but once in a while he asks for what we call “famous mac” its not homemade really but its a new twist on Kraft, we use a Kraft box, make the noodles normally then use heavy whipping cream sour cream in stead of milk. ive never really used measurement so its sorta just a look and guess kinda thing but it is creamy and rich but still the hint of the classic Kraft. also you may want to try unsweetened soy milk instead of milk or cream on homemade recipes, i do that alot when im making it completely home made..
    on another note i love your recipes and think your whole site is just wonderful

• Kirbie replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 8:26 am

Interesting! I’ll have to try your method out sometime because we always have Kraft lying at home.