My brother requested that I find a macaroni and cheese recipe that is creamy, homemade, but still resembles the instant Kraft ones we ate as kids. So I’ve been on a mission to discover the best homemade stove top recipe.
I tried a recipe a few months back that seemed promising but ended up being a complete mess. I tried another recipe recently that got good reviews on Allrecipes. I changed the recipe around to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand.
The macaroni and cheese was pretty creamy, cheesy and easy to put together. But it’s not exactly what I am looking for. It had a ton of cheese in it too, which didn’t look so pretty once it got cold. I’m going to continue searching for the ultimate recipe. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- 16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a saucepan to a boil. Add macaroni, and cook until not quite done, about 6 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour, mustard powder, and pepper until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk. Add in the cheese, and stir constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Drain noodles, and stir them into the cheese sauce. Serve while warm
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.