I’m always drawn to recipes with only a few ingredients. I recently found a recipe for biscuits with only three ingredients. Super super easy.

I was a little wary. Yogurt, flour and salt. Could it work?

While making the dough, I was still wary. And when they baked up, they looked a little sad.

But then I tasted them. And I was sold. These aren’t your classic flaky buttery biscuits, but they are nevertheless biscuits and they are tasty. The yogurt adds a tang to them. They are chewy, fluffy but also firm, and remind me of an English muffin. I couldn’t stop eating them. And I can’t believe how ridiculously easy they are to make.

Just mix ingredients, roll out, cut, and bake.

Circle B Kitchen indicates that the key to making these biscuits tasty fluffy and not like hockey pucks to is to make sure the dough is about 1 inch or more thick, whereas the original recipe calls for the dough to be only 1/2 inch thick. This seems like a good tip because the biscuits don’t rise that much when baking.

I’ll definitely be making these again. They were so easy and quick. I might wipe the flour away next time because the flour from my pastry board didn’t disappear when these baked up. I think next time I’ll brush the tops with some honey or something before baking for a more glossy finish.

Print Print Save Save

Three Ingredient Yogurt Biscuits

Yield: 12 biscuits

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 12 mins

Total Time: 27 mins

3 cups self-rising flour (if you don't have self-rising flour, sift 3 cups all purpose + 4 tsp baking powder + 1 tsp salt)
2 teaspoons salt
2 ½ cups fat free greek yogurt

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yogurt into the center, and using wooden spoon, mix the flour into the yogurt until dough forms. It may help to use your hands as well, though dough will be very very sticky.

3. Sprinkle your work surface with a little flour, turn the dough out, sprinkle with a little flour and roll out dough to about 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick.

4. Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter and cut out as many biscuits as you can from the dough. Re-roll the dough and cut out more biscuits. Repeat this until you have used all of the dough.

5. Place the biscuits close together in the prepared pans. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve while warm.

Very slightly adapted from Recipe found on Circle B Kitchen, originally from Relish magazine

21 Responses to “Three Ingredient Yogurt Biscuits”

1. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — April 26, 2012 at 2:12 am

These look fantastic! I love baking but hate using yeast, so easy recipes like this are perfect. I made something similar yesterday actually – dinner rolls that literally took 5 mintues to make. I’m having some problems with my site today but I’ll be posting the recipe soon if you’re interested :)

• Kirbie replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 8:48 am

I am definitely interested! I love recipes that don’t use yeast. Mainly because I don’t want to wait for the rising.

2. joanh — April 26, 2012 at 6:21 am

looks so easy!! except in taiwan where i’m not sure where to get greek yogurt? do you think i could use regular yogurt? and self rising flour, would that be cake flour or bread flour or a mix?

• Kirbie replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 8:46 am

Yes I think you can use regular yogurt. Actually the original recipe just says yogurt, I decided to use greek yogurt instead. Self rising flour is all purpose flour that already has rising agents in it. You can make your own if you don’t have it. According to Food.com, for every 3/4 cup flour you do 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon baking powder +1/4 teaspoon salt. So you can just quadruple this amount for this recipe. =)

3. rhaya — April 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

could you use whole wheat flour in these biscuits !?

• Kirbie replied: — April 30th, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Sorry I don’t know the answer as I haven’t tried it.

4. LP @dishclips — May 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I like how this recipe requires so few ingredients. So cool!

• Kirbie replied: — May 3rd, 2012 @ 8:39 am

I like that too. Makes things so easy.

5. Regina — May 19, 2012 at 12:18 am

Do you think it’ll be fine if i add in some rasins in this?

• Kirbie replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I don’t think it will affect the recipe, though I’m not sure how well raisins will go with the biscuits taste-wise.

6. MM — July 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I just made them they r so easy and yummy, i brushed the top of some with honey, sprinkled sugar on some and left the others plain, i used vanilla yogurt i had in the fridge, it was a bit sticky but turned out great, it’s like a yogurt bread or i recon if u added bits of fried bacon and cheese or anything will work perfectly so easy and can’t stop eating them, not sure if you should call them biscuits :) Love them thanks for sharing

7. Miranda — October 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm

These were tasty. I made them with whole wheat flour!

• Kirbie replied: — October 29th, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Glad you liked them and good to know they work with whole wheat flour too!

8. Dianna — December 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thank you for this recipe! I made it with white whole wheat flour and loved it.

• Kirbie replied: — December 18th, 2012 @ 11:53 am

yay!

9. veronica — March 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I tried to make these biscuits this morning and I feel like something went wrong as they turned out extremely chewy and felt not properly cooked even after 20 minutes in the oven at 225C. I believed I followed the recipe correctly, I just had plain flour instead of self rising. Maybe I didn’t handle the dough in the right way?

• Kirbie replied: — March 15th, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

Plain flour is not the same as self rising flour. Self rising flour has the baking rising agents already mixed in. Did you add the necessary baking powder and salt to your flour?

10. Alisa — March 28, 2013 at 9:12 am

Thanks for a great recipe. I omitted the extra salt, since my self-rising already contains salt, then added 1 generous tablespoon of dill. The inside is tender, moist and fluffy, perfection. The outside browned nicely and looks very pretty, but is just a little bit chewy/tough. Next time I’ll try brushing with melted butter just before baking. Not sure if it will work with biscuits, but it keeps yeast bread soft.

• Kirbie replied: — March 28th, 2013 @ 11:07 am

These are a little chewier than the typical biscuit. But I do enjoy them!

11. Katie — April 3, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I made these today and followed the recipe exactly the way it’s listed and used my self rising flour. I also used the 2 teaspoons of salt as well. They came out INCREDIBLY salty. I am not completely and fully experienced in the baking department and was NOT aware that self rising flour already contained salt. So if you are using self rising flour please do not use the 2 teaspoons of salt listed in the ingredients list. I wish I would have read ALL the comments under this recipe so I would have figured it out before I added the unneeded salt.

• Kirbie replied: — April 4th, 2014 @ 9:16 am

i wonder if it was the brand of self rising flour because I added the salt to mine and mine weren’t salty. And the commenters don’t say they are salty; just one person said she omitted salt.