Thursday, May 10, 2012

Avocado Egg Cups

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been on an avocado kick. I’ve made bacon egg avocado cups before and loved them. This time I thought of placing eggs directly into the avocado shell for another breakfast treat.

I liked how these looked. Warm avocado, egg, some salt and pepper for seasoning. You can scoop and eat it with a spoon.

I even kept one of the egg yolks runny so it broke open and spread all over the avocado cup. Yum. Though of course you can cook them more if you want.

My one issue is that the avocado developed a slight bitterness from being cooked in the oven. I’ve noticed this when warming avocados though it was more noticeable here because there was so much avocado. Has anyone else had this issue?

Avocado Egg Cups

1 large avocado
2 medium eggs
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Slice avocado in half lengthwise and place on baking sheet. Remove pit, and scoop some avocado out to make a deeper hole in each half. Crack an egg into each avocado shell half. If your eggs are big, remove some of the egg white before placing into avocado. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
2. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes until egg reaches desired doneness. Serve while warm.

9 Responses to “Avocado Egg Cups”

Ann P. — May 10, 2012 @ 11:06 am

So interesting! Is this your own invention! I’ve always wondered what avocado would look like when baking–i thought they would turn super brown–but they look really good!

• Kirbie replied: — May 10th, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

I’ve actually seen them around before, so no I didn’t come up with it. I didn’t link to another source because it’s just something I’ve seen pictures of and I didn’t read a specific post on it or follow someone’s instructions. I’ve just seen it around in magazines, on the internet.

Iris — May 10, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Overheating/extensive heating of avocados causes it them to undergo chemical reactions which cause the bitterness. (but don’t ask me about the actual chemical equations! :p though if I had to, I’d guess it’s the lipids in the avocados that are undergoing some sort of reaction) I looked at your two recipes and your bacon egg avocado cups are baked for about half the time compared to these avocado egg cups… which is probably why these taste slightly bitter. :)

Iris — May 10, 2012 @ 6:07 pm

oops typo in the last comment

*which causes the bitterness

• Kirbie replied: — May 10th, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Though I think I noticed it with the bacon avo cups also, but not as noticeable. So probably the longer the baking time is causing it to be more bitter.

Abbie — May 15, 2012 @ 11:32 am

I wonder if the bitterness could be avoided by broiling the avocados to cook the eggs. It would probably warm the avocado and a ripe avocado is probably plenty creamy without baking it. Just an idea :)

• Kirbie replied: — May 15th, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

I’ll try it out next time. Thanks!

Jessi — September 24, 2012 @ 4:51 am

Here is a link to what my avocado cup looked like: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=981518492049&l=6f31ef9a8a

I suggest you season the avocado before putting the egg inside.
    Also, I added little pieces of bacon in and around the egg yoke.
    I broiled mine on high for about 6-8 mins. (It depends how runny you want your yoke.)

Yummy

• Kirbie replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Thanks for sharing. Seasoning the avocado first and adding bacon sounds like a good idea