Sunday, May 6, 2012

Five Minute Avocado Chocolate Pudding

You know how much I love quick and easy recipes. And I like healthy ones too. This recipe recipe is both healthy and super easy. And it still tastes like chocolate pudding.

I’ve been on a huge avocado kick lately and have been searching for all sorts of avocado recipes. During my search I came across this super easy chocolate pudding that can be made in about five minutes, and uses avocados as one of the key ingredients.

I wasn’t too surprised. I’ve made a chocolate mousse with tofu where you can’t taste the tofu so I was confident that a chocolate pudding can be made with avocado without it tasting like avocados.

The recipe uses four ingredients. The avocado provides the creamy texture for the chocolate pudding. You throw everything into a blender, turn it on, and it’s ready. Almost instant satisfaction.

Avocado Chocolate Pudding

Yield: 2

1 ripe small or medium avocado
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup raw agave nectar
1/4 cup nonfat milk

1. Blend all ingredients into a blender until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more agave nectar depending on the size of your avocado. It's ready to eat immediately or you can also refrigerate.

Adapted from Forgiving Martha

12 Responses to “Five Minute Avocado Chocolate Pudding”

Ann P. — May 7, 2012 @ 8:52 am

strange, but ingenius! I like it! :)

• Kirbie replied: — May 7th, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

It’s actually quite yummy. And I like that it uses agave nectar and avocado so it’s healthy too.

Chrixy — May 7, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

It looks so good!
    Does it taste like avocado?
    I strongly dislike avocado. =)

• Kirbie replied: — May 8th, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

I don’t think it tastes like avocado if you add enough sweetener. But I enjoy avocados, so I’m not sure if someone who is sensitive to the taste of avocados would feel the same.

Kathleen — May 8, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

Hey Kirbie! Can I use white sugar instead of agave nectar?

• Kirbie replied: — May 8th, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

Yes I think it should be fine. Hope you like it!

Xa — November 13, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Amazing!!! My toddler and I just had a bowl each. It reminded me very much of the pudding that came in the box my mom used to make. Plus, no waiting for it to cool, no yucky congealed skin at the top, more filling and MUCH, MUCH better for you. I used less nectar, maybe a little less than 1/4 a cup, and used almond milk instead of cow milk. It turned out great. Thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Awesome! So glad you and your toddler both enjoyed it. And glad to know it works with almond milk too.

Brenda — November 27, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Hi Kirbie:
    Many thanks for this Avocado recipe. 3 questions please.
    1. How far in advance can you make this pudding?
    2. Can you make 6 or 8 servings at once?
    3. How long does it stay nice to serve once it is made?

Thanks if you can offer some answers to my questions. Keep up the great work,

Respectfully,
    Brenda

• Kirbie replied: — November 27th, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Hi Brenda. Every time I’ve made this, I’ve eaten it right away or let it chill for about an hour. I would not make it too far in advance because you are working with fresh avocados. I do think you should be able to increase the recipe to 6 or 8 servings, but definitely make it right before it’s about to be served or an hour before and let it chill in the fridge for an hour.

Gary — January 15, 2014 @ 11:20 am

This stuff is great but oh my god is it high in calories!

• Kirbie replied: — January 16th, 2014 @ 3:03 pm

Most of the calories come from the avocado and it’s actually not that bad, especially since this makes two servings, so only about 250 calories.