Okay, they may not be perfect. But they are super crunchy and easy to make. You don’t need a heavy duty fryer and you don’t need to double fry.

I’ve come across a lot of articles on making perfect French fries. Most require the double frying technique, along with some other elements as well. These do not.

Single fry, half the time, and just as crunchy as a double fry. In fact, I even did a second batch using the double fry method and they looked and tasted exactly same as the single fry method.

The key to making these fries is dropping them in the oil while the oil is still cold, allowing the fries to cook and fry as the oil heats up. It not only saves you time, but you also don’t have to deal with the scariness of dropping fries into a super hot bubbling pot that might spray out at you.

This isn’t my method. I read an article that it is Joel Robuchon’s method. Since I’m a huge fan of his food, I decided to try it out. And it worked! These were easy and delicious. I brought some to DH, left the room for no more than five minutes, and I came back and the plate was empty.

Print Print Recipe

Perfect French Fries

2 medium sized Russet potatoes
oil for frying

Peel skin off potatoes. Slice into fries, about 1/4 inch thick. Use a paper towel and dry potatoes as much as possible. Pour oil into frying pan, about 2 inches in height. Drop in potatoes. Turn on stove to medium high heat. When oil heats up the potatoes will begin to bubble. Continue to let the potatoes fry and bubble until they turn brown and crispy on all sides. You may need to use a spatula to separate potatoes so they don't stick together. Remove potatoes when done, soaking excess grease on paper towels. Serve immediately.

8 Responses to “Perfect French Fries”

1. Jinxi — September 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

What type of pan/pot do you use for frying? I usually use a Dutch oven so that the oil doesn’t splatter as much :)

• Kirbie replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 10:46 am

I usually use a wok. I need to get a Dutch oven eventually. It’s usually not too bad of a splatter, just more the fear of hot oil, or if something is accidentally a little wet. Heh

2. Karen K — September 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Wow, you put them into cold oil? That’s fantastic! Definitely need to try this!

• Kirbie replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Yup, it works!

3. Mama B — September 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is totally counter to everything everyone says about deep frying. Thanks for sharing. I’ll be trying it for sure!

• Kirbie replied: — September 7th, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

I know, I was surprised when I read about it too. But it definitely worked for me.

4. Katherine — September 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

i intend to try this / i have been making Straw Potatoes using new potatoes / you put a small piece of potato in the cold oil / about one to two inches of oil (i use Smart Balance) in an iron frying pan / when the potato piece is golden the oil is hot enough for the rest of the potatoes / no need for a thermometer or guessing at the temp / also you dont rinse the potato sticks just pat them dry / these come out great / but i will try yours too / smile

i like my fried potatoes dipped in homemade mayonnaise made with butter / yum

• Kirbie replied: — September 7th, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

Your method sounds really similar. I love dipping mine in ranch dressing. =)