This last week I’ve been baking cookies like crazy. I’ve forgotten how exhausting and tiring it is to massively bake so many at once. Usually cookies are pretty easy and quick. But the holiday ones I make always seem to take a lot more time as a result of all the decorating and shapes I have to cut out.
I was planning on sharing some of my favorite holiday cookie recipes over the years earlier this month but I never did get around to it. For those still looking for last minute inspiration, I’m sharing them in this post.
I love making these matcha shortbread trees every year. But it is annoying cutting out so many trees and them decorating them. They taste great though. Buttery, not too sweet. And they keep well so they can be baked ahead of time. One thing I learned this time around is that the Maeda-en culinary quality packaged in a silver canister definitely does not have the same vibrant green as the gold canister high quality drinking tea. My first batch was so light and I was dissatisfied with the green so I made them again.
The recipe for these are at the end of this post.
Favorite Holiday Cookies Round-Up
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bouchon’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Biscoff Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Cookies N’ Cream Cookies
- Chewy Nutella Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Espresso Chews
- Coconut Butter Cookies
- Coconut Macaroons
- Double Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Ginger Snaps
- Ginger Spice Cookies
- Green Tea Almond Russian Tea Cakes
- Green Tea Sugar Cookies
- Hazelnut Russian Tea Cakes
- Healthier Red Velvet Cookies
- Holiday Cookies n’ Cream Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Italian Macarons
- Matcha Cookies
- M&M Cookies
- Nutella Chip Cookies
- Nutella Filled Red Velvet Cookies
- Nutella Lava Cookies
- Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- NY Times Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- Pecan Pralines
- Pecan Russian Tea Cakes
- Red Velvet Cookies
- Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies
- Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Sugar Cookies
- Spritz Cookies
- Stained Glass Christmas Tree Cookies
- Ultimate Cookie Bar
Matcha Shortbread Trees
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
a pinch of salt
1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
2 1/2 tablespoons high quality matcha (green tea) powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Whisk flour and salt together in a small bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter, matcha powder and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add about half of the flour, then mix on low speed. Gradually add
remaining flour, mixing just until blended. The mixture should look crumbly; but if you squeeze it between your fingers, it will come together. Gather the dough into a large ball.
4. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper.
Peel off top parchment paper.
5. Cut out as many cookies as possible using cookie cutter and place on cookie sheets 1-inch apart. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat until all of the dough is used up. Decorate with sprinkles
6. Preheat oven to 325 F. Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until the cookies are dry and firm to the touch and the edges are just starting to turn brown.
slightly adapted from DeDe Wilson’s recipe found on Project Foodie