Monday, May 27, 2013

Dairy Free Coconut Whipped Cream

dairy free coconut whipped cream

If you enjoy coconut then you must try this coconut whipped cream. Not only is it heavenly, but it’s also dairy free!

I love dipping my strawberries in homemade whipped cream but I think I may like this coconut alternative even better.

Coconut whipped cream is made with coconut milk.

You do need to plan a little ahead. The coconut milk needs to be placed in the refrigerator overnight so that the cream portion separates from the more watery section.

You also need to pay attention to what kind of coconut milk you buy. I first purchased some Thai coconut milk from Ranch 99 but the coconut milk did not separate in the fridge. I’ve found that the American brands work best and you also need to make sure it is a full fat coconut milk and not a light version.

I’m so excited to have discovered this and now I can’t wait to use it in other recipes.

Coconut Whipped Cream

1 can full fat coconut milk (use an American brand and not an Asian one)
2-3 tbsp powdered sugar

1. Place coconut milk can in fridge overnight. Right before making coconut whipped cream, remove can from fridge and open top with can opener. Carefully extract the solid cream portion which should have floated to the top. You can use the remaining watery section of the coconut milk for other purposes.
2. Add in 2-3 tbsp of powdered sugar. Mix on high speed until soft peaks form. Serve immediately or keep unused cream in fridge.

Recipe seen on The Kitchn

25 Responses to “Dairy Free Coconut Whipped Cream”

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats — May 28, 2013 @ 7:18 am

That’s so interesting that American brand ones work while Asian ones don’t? The process seems easy enough, can’t wait to try it when I get around to buying some coconut milk!

• Kirbie replied: — May 28th, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

I am guessing that the Asian ones are not full fat. It doesn’t say on the label what it is, but I think it’s been diluted by too much water.

Jinxi — May 28, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

I never knew you could do this! So cool, definitely gonna try it :) Thanks for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — May 28th, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

i saw quite a few posts on it on my pinterest board. I love it!

Olena @ iFOODreal.com - High protein and low carb recipes — May 28, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

Excellent idea! Just in time for those light summer desserts. I will be making berry trifle with it.

• Kirbie replied: — May 28th, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

sounds good!

andrew — May 28, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

so its not a light food, its just as heavy as using heavy whipping cream….just no cholesterol…which doesnt even matter since saturated fats contribute highly to cholesterol and not the actual ingestion of cholesterol.

• Kirbie replied: — May 28th, 2013 @ 10:55 pm

I never said it was a light food, just that it is dairy free.

Jenny — May 29, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Oh wow, my assistant is vegan and we’d love to do more vegan stuff, this looks like a winner!

• Kirbie replied: — May 29th, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Oh yes, this would be perfect to add to your offerings!

isa — June 21, 2013 @ 12:34 am

Soooorry. But open it at the bottom side! There is all the liquit!

• Kirbie replied: — June 21st, 2013 @ 8:44 am

You can do it either way. I prefer opening the top and scooping out the solid part

matt — June 24, 2013 @ 10:07 am

Actually, more and more research is indicating that saturated fat does NOT contribute to bad (LDL) cholesterol, but excessive consumption of carbohydrates like grains most certainly DOES. The medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil are actually very healthy for you.

Chloe — June 29, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Well this website looks really good. I have a dairy allergy myself so i’m really glad I found this recipie because i’ve always wondered wether you could get dairy free cream or not. So I feel so lucky to have found all this. I can’t wait to try this out and then if the cream comes out well, then I might have them with some pavalovas! :D

• Kirbie replied: — June 30th, 2013 @ 8:59 am

I’m glad you were able to find a dairy free cream recipe. Hope you like it!

Jess — August 29, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

About how many cups of fat does a can typically yield after the water has separated? I ask because I want to use a fresh coconut/can’t get cans. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I’m looking forward to pairing it with that mango mousse you posted.

ps to Chloe – a quick search for whipped cream made from cashews and other nuts will expand your dessert horizons. Italian meringue is pretty awesome, too.

• Kirbie replied: — August 29th, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

I’m not sure. It’s just a layer on top on the can and less than 1 cup per can. I’m also not quite sure how it would work with a fresh coconut.

Andrew — August 30, 2013 @ 3:20 am

Hey, we are based in the UK and can’t seem to find any American brands here… Can you recommend any UK brands? Or anywhere that I can buy these online?

Thank you!

• Kirbie replied: — September 1st, 2013 @ 9:17 am

Sorry, I don’t know of any places online or any UK brands. In the US they are at most supermarkets, often in the baking aisle

Jess — September 9, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Reporting back on the fresh coconut: my medium sized coconut yielded a little under a cup of fat after making milk and letting it separate in the refrigerator. Good to know. The mango mousse was really lovely, by the way. Frozen, too.

• Kirbie replied: — September 9th, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

Thanks for taking the time to report back! I have some fresh coconuts, I’m going to have to try it with the fresh ones now.

Jackie — September 25, 2013 @ 8:30 am

@Andrew – In the UK try Waitrose own brand organic coconut milk. (The one with the turquoise blue label.)

Aquaria — October 22, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

@Andrew

You were lied to. Saturated fats are not the cause of CVD. What raises the bad cholesterol (VLDL) is sugar, fructose, and other refined carbs. Saturated fat doesn’t raise that, but greatly increases the good cholesterol, HDL.

This has been known for over 50 years. Experiment after experiment has backed it up, but it was ignored, or even suppressed.

There was an agenda, cupcake, and it wasn’t in YOUR favor.

Only the ignorant and gullible don’t know this.

Debbie — November 28, 2013 @ 3:02 am

Is there a specific brand you have used with consistent success? I purchased 5 cans of the organic 365 brand from Whole Foods (I’ve used it in the past without issue) and out of those 5 cans, only 1 can actually separated. Since it is early Thanksgiving morning, this is especially frustrating, but if you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate them.

I do want to say that when the coconut milk is cooperating, this whipped cream is amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — November 28th, 2013 @ 11:24 pm

Hmm I have only made it a few times so I haven’t noticed one brand being better. I believe the last time I made it, it was a can I bought at Trader Joe’s. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to respond earlier.