Sunday, May 5, 2013

Vegetarian Fruit Snacks

After my posts on easy homemade fruit snacks (jello version and natural fruit juice version), I had several people ask me about whether there was a vegetarian recipe since the ones I shared used gelatin.

In fact, I came across several vegetarian versions that used agar agar powder. I’m pretty familiar with agar agar powder as it’s used in a lot of Chinese desserts. Like gelatin, it’s a thickening agent, and it’s also vegetarian. The desserts made with agar agar powder usually have the consistency similar to Jello. The powder is quite cheap at Asian supermarkets, so I was happy to test it out.

I tried it several times, but I could never quite get it to be as chewy as the fruit snacks I like or the ones I made with the gelatin. Some were very firm and crumbly, some were too soft, some tasted like Jello. I finally got a version that was pretty tasty, but it’s more like a soft fruit snack. It’s firmer than Jello, but only has the tiniest chew. It’s still pretty tasty though and I know some people like their fruit snacks soft rather than chewy, so I decided to share the recipe.

I’m not going to give up though. I don’t think it’s possible to achieve the chewy fruit snacks with only agar, but I’m going to try another vegetarian version with pectin.

Agar Fruit Snacks

1 cup fruit juice
4 tbsp agar agar powder (not flakes)

Boil fruit juice and agar agar powder in sauce pan on low boil and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and pour into silicone molds. Place molds into fridge to set for about 15 minutes. Pop out of molds and serve. Store uneaten fruit snacks in fridge.

10 Responses to “Vegetarian Fruit Snacks”

B. — May 23, 2013 @ 9:58 am

Thanks for posting this recipe! I bought some agar agar and didn’t know what to do with it. The proportions here gave it an interesting texture. I’m going to play around with some different juices and see what works best (I used a wildberry juice this time).

• Kirbie replied: — May 23rd, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I usually use agar agar to make jello-like molds, with fresh fruit pieces inside. I wish I could get it to be more chewy like real fruit snacks, but this was an interesting in-between that still tasted good to me.

Amanda — September 5, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

I just made these and I think they turned out great. I used 1 cup of all natural just tart cherry juice mixed with 1 T. of agar flakes (can’t find the powder anywhere)…thanks for the recipe!!!

• Kirbie replied: — September 5th, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

so glad they turned out well for you!

Stacey — January 8, 2014 @ 10:34 am

I love the rose shape! Where did you find the mold?

Tanya — January 31, 2014 @ 6:56 pm

Just tried these out and I’m wondering if your measurements are a bit off? I had one cup of fruit juice (freshly juiced oranges) and the 4 tablespoons of agar powder was ridiculous. It was wayyyy past stir-able consistency. Instantly went crazy chunky. I was able to save it by slowly adding back in about 3 cups of juice while heating on the stove top. I’m wondering it maybe you meant 4 teaspoons of the powder rather than tablespoons? It may just have been my type of juice though…?

• Kirbie replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 12:36 am

Hmm, I’m wondering, what sort of agar powder did you use?

kim — March 27, 2014 @ 10:32 pm

I think agar’s ratio to liquid changes with more acidity
    (orange juice) I remember reading that once…

• Kirbie replied: — March 28th, 2014 @ 12:53 am

Oh i didn’t know that! I will have to do some research