These apple bread rolls are a quick and easy recipe when you’re craving fresh baked bread. They don’t require any yeast, added sugar, butter, oil or eggs. These rolls are ready in about 30 minutes. They have a crusty exterior and a soft and fluffy interior.
I made these bread rolls when we were out of bread the other day and they really hit the spot. The inside is soft and fluffy and has a hint of sweetness from the apples.
- Self-Rising Flour (you can also make your own with flour, baking powder and salt)
I used unsweetened applesauce for this recipe so that there is no added sugar to the recipe (just the natural sugars from the apples). The recipe will work with sweetened applesauce as well if you don’t mind the added sugar.
The recipe also uses self-rising flour. If you don’t have self-rising flour, you can easily make your own using all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. I share the exact quantities in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Texture and Taste
The bread has a texture similar to traditional bread made with yeast. It’s slightly crusty on the outside with a soft inside. The bread has a hint of sweetness from the apples but is not a sweet bread. If you want a sweet bread, you can make it sweeter by adding a little sugar to the dough. The bread is sturdy enough to add butter, almond butter, jam or other spreads.
More Easy Bread Recipes
- 2 Ingredient Banana Bread Rolls
- 3 Ingredient Healthy Oat Bread
- Flourless Apple Bread
- 2 Ingredient Applesauce Bread
2 Ingredient Apple Bread Rolls
- 8 oz applesauce unsweetened
- 2 cups (260 grams) self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add applesauce and flour. Stir with a spatula until ingredients are completely combined and a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky. Use a large spoon to scoop balls of dough onto prepared baking pan. You should have enough to make 10 rolls.
- Using slightly damp clean hands, smooth the surface of each dough ball.
- Bake rolls for about 22-24 minutes or until tops are browned. Let bread rolls cools a few minutes before serving. Uneaten bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or longer in the fridge or freezer.
- To make your own self-rising flour, add 2 cups all purpose flour, 3 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt to a bowl. Whisk to combine. Measure out 2 cups for the recipe.
- It's okay if your dough balls are not perfectly round. Mine were freeform. If you want to make them rounder you can scoop the dough using an ice cream scoop with a release trigger.
- The breads are not meant to be sweet breads. They just have a hint of sweetness from the apples. If you want sweeter bread you can add some sugar to the dough.
- I used White Lily Self Rising Flour.*
- *This product link is an affiliate link. This means I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.