Mashed Potato Tots
Homemade mashed potato tots are a great use for leftover mashed potatoes and a tasty variation on traditional tater tots. Instead of shredded potatoes, these crispy bites are filled with creamy mashed potatoes.
We always have leftover mashed potatoes after Thanksgiving so I like to come up with new ways to use them up. This year, I plan on making a lot of mashed potato tots.
The tater tots I grew up eating are made with shredded potatoes. These are made with mashed potatoes. When you bite through the crispy coating, you are treated to a creamy filling of mashed potatoes and cheese.
What’s especially great is that you can make a few batches of these and freeze them. Then you can cook the frozen ones whenever you’re in the mood for some mashed potato tots.
Mashed Potato Tots
- 1 1/2 cup cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- canola oil for frying
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, egg, cheese, and flour. Mix until smooth and evenly combined.
- Using a 1/2 tbsp measuring spoon, scoop out 1/2 tbsp of mashed potato mixture and gently shape into a cylinder. The mashed potato mixture will be quite soft and sticky. Roll and cover outside of cylinder with panko bread crumbs. Once covered in crumbs, it should be easier to shape. Re-shape gently to resemble a cylinder shape. Set aside and repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- In a skillet add about 1/2 inch of oil. Bring to medium heat. When oil is hot, add a few tots to the hot oil. Fry tots on both sides until tots are golden brown. Repeat with remaining tots.
- Garnish tots with parsley and grated cheese. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!