These crispy cauliflower tots are so flavorful, you won’t miss the potato. The cauliflower texture is so similar to the potato, some might even be fooled into thinking these are regular tater tots.
If you’ve been following along you know how obsessed I am with cauliflower recipes. There are so many ways to use it as a substitute for potatoes and other ingredients like rice. These cauliflower tots are a new favorite – you only need four ingredients, the tots are baked instead of fried and you can hardly tell they’re made with cauliflower.
I’ve been cooking a little healthier lately because Mr. K. has his annual physical coming up and so he’s been a little more amiable to my healthy substitutions. One of his favorite things has been these cauliflower tots, which are so similar to regular tater tots. You can’t taste the cauliflower and the texture is like tots made with potatoes, but they’re a lower-carb healthier version.
These cauliflower tots are flavored with seasoned panko breadcrumbs and cheddar cheese. Even though they’re baked, they come out the oven hot and crispy.
- Cauliflower florets
- Italian-seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
How to Make Cauliflower Tots
Prepare the Cauliflower
Boil the cauliflower florets until they are soft. Finely chop the cooked florets until they resemble coarse crumbs.
Cauliflower Tot Mixture
Combine the processed cauliflower, panko bread crumbs, shredded cheese and eggs in a bowl.
Scoop the mixture to form the tots, squeezing it between your hands and shaping it into a cylinder shape.
Bake the Cauliflower Tots
Place the tots on a baking sheet and bake them at 400°F for 15 minutes. Flip the tots and bake them for another 10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
More Tips for Making Cauliflower Tots
- You will need three cups of cooked chopped cauliflower which is approximately one medium-sized head of cauliflower.
- Be sure to use seasoned panko breadcrumbs. Plain panko will make your tots bland, so if that’s all you have on hand you should add some dried Italian season and salt.
- I like to use my food processor to chop the cooked cauliflower, but you can also do it by hand with a knife.
- When you form the tots, be sure to squeeze them as you form them into cylinders. This will ensure your tots will hold together as they bake.
- Depending on your oven the bake time may vary. Don’t flip your tots until they are nicely browned on the bottom, so keep an eye on them.
These cauliflower tots come out of the oven very crispy, with cheese and Italian seasoning to give them a delicious flavor. The bits of cauliflower felt just like the little bits of potato in my mouth. I’m definitely making this one again.
Love cauliflower recipes? You might like my Cauliflower Fritters, too.
- 3 cups finely chopped cooked cauliflower approximately one head of cauliflower (see note)
- 1 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs (see note)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Add the 3 cups of chopped cauliflower, breadcrumbs, cheese and eggs into a large mixing bowl. Mix with a large spoon until everything is combined.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. While oven is preheating, shape cauliflower mixture to form small cylinders, the size of tater tots (about 1-inch long). Make sure to first press the mixture together firmly between your palms before shaping, so that the ingredients hold together. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Bottom of tots should be brown. Flip tots over and bake for another 10 minutes. If your tots are larger, you may need to bake longer so that they are crispy. Serve with ketchup or other dipping sauce.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.